First Time Buyer new build queries

New Build Inspections

Wendi

Hi all,
I'm looking at new builds as a first time buyer and fell upon this forum! I was originally looking for reviews of builders, as I've found a few possible properties in the right area for me. Of the three there, my first choice is a Bellway, and there are also Taylor Wimpey and Persimmon. I'm getting the clear impression to avoid Persimmon! I didn't realise there were always snagging issues so it's good to know to expect them (I'd be complaining about every little niggle I found anyway).
I suppose my question is - are builders all much the same regarding quality, build issues and customer service? If not, what should I be looking out for?
I'm going for a new build partly as I'm going for help to buy, and partly as I want everything brand new.
Cheers

Matron999

After 41 years of marriage we sold our family home and because we couldn't find anything suitable we looked at new builds. In the end we chose a Bellway home and I have to say we've been very impressed. Any problems have been dealt with extremely quickly and efficiently. When we've contacted customer services they have been courteous and arranged for the problems to be dealt with and followed up with a telephone call making sure we are happy. Like you I wasn't aware of problems with new builds and didn't know who to avoid. Just to add the extras we paid for such as extra tiling, down lights etc are all good quality and believe me I'm very fussy so if I hadn't been happy would definitely say so. Good luck I hope you find a lovely new home.

Wendi

Thanks for your reply, the more I've read, the more I worry, so it's good to hear a positive one. What kind of snags did you have?

Matron999

Hi Wendi. There was a scratch on the kitchen window, a scratch that we couldn't see but the sales rep picked up on the toilet cistern top. One of the shower heads was cracked and the water dripped out. That didn't make it unusable but was replaced with a better shower head. A soft close cupboard door wasn't soft closing and the towel radiator in the bathroom didn't work. All were dealt with within a few days of us reporting them.

robbie

Hi Wendi

Have you read NewHomeExpert's guide? Its pretty good and is worth reviewing.

Kind thanks,

Robbie