Uneven floor and suspect wiring & pipework

New Build Inspections
Dear All,

I recently moved into my new house and noticed the floor in the bedroom had a slope. Luckily the room below had down lights so I could take some pictures of the joists that are causing the problem. The end of the bedroom that has the problem joins onto the stairs. The three pictures attached show where the engineered joists join the solid joist next to the stairs. Picture one shows the joist next to the wall and you can see that the floor boards have been packed to raise the level for some reason. The net result is that the floor boards above are not resting on the engineered joist and this is contributing to the slope on the floor above. Picture two shows the next area over and that the pipes and wires run between metal thing and floor. Picture three shows the next area over again and now the floor boards are now on the engineered joists.

The house is still covered by the two year warranty so I contacted the builders and they are coming out to see the house soon.

Does anyone have any advice or know what the metals things are?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
More pictures

Nem39esis,

I have contacted the builder and they are sending out someone this week. My theory at the moment is that they packed the floor under picture 3 so they could run the cables under picture 2. On your point of nails through the engineered joists why is this a bad thing?

I also managed to look at the joists on the 1st floor, as I live in a town house, and the cabling is even madder. Below are the pictures looking up and down the hallway.

What are your thoughts?

Lee

clared112

I toally agree with Nem39esis- shoddy!! With the movement in the flooring the sheath on the cables WILL wear away in time... (builders cutting corners again)- I'm suprised they didnt put a nail through one of the wires!

Have a look at this, It's the technical guide from the NHBC, this will tell you about the joint spacing.. http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NHBCPublications/LiteratureLibrary/Technical/filedownload,21418,en.pdf
you will also see on page 7 holes are drilled through the joists for the wiring.

Hope that helps.

Clare

Good news - Barratt came out and they are going to spend two days looking/fixing the problem. I plan to work from home and keep an eye on them, as I was slightly concerned when the guy mentioned beading to plug the skirting gap!

While I feel this journey is only just starting at least it’s going in the right direction.

Anyway I'm going to Maplin to get a flexible snake scope camera so I can check all the joists that join the stairs.

alucard

Dear All,

I recently moved into my new house and noticed the floor in the bedroom had a slope. Luckily the room below had down lights so I could take some pictures of the joists that are causing the problem. The end of the bedroom that has the problem joins onto the stairs. The three pictures attached show where the engineered joists join the solid joist next to the stairs. Picture one shows the joist next to the wall and you can see that the floor boards have been packed to raise the level for some reason. The net result is that the floor boards above are not resting on the engineered joist and this is contributing to the slope on the floor above. Picture two shows the next area over and that the pipes and wires run between metal thing and floor. Picture three shows the next area over again and now the floor boards are now on the engineered joists.

The house is still covered by the two year warranty so I contacted the builders and they are coming out to see the house soon.

Does anyone have any advice or know what the metals things are?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Metal cleats for fixing the joist 'spacers'. Keeps continuity between joists.
I would really get the routing for the central heating pipe and electric cable looked at. Should be through the 'spacers/joists' and not directly in connection with anything load bearing.