Poor Sound Insulation

New Build Inspections

Luckyday20

I've been in my semi-detached newbuild house for 4 years, and been trying to sell for some time, unfortunately without success. Within a year of moving in I complained to the builders about what I perceived to be poor sound insulation between mine and my neighbour's property. I can hear every door closing, the toilet being used (!), conversation, footsteps (if he walks around in his bedroom you would think it was in my house). I can see from this forum that others have the same problem. Admittedly my neighbour is a loud type of person, and has laminate flooring downstairs, but I didn't expect to hear someone else's life in such detail and it has ruined the new home experience for me. He is not having wild parties I hasten to add, but just living a normal life. This problem aside the house is very cosy and the finish is generally good, although I find the internal noise a problem too - the ensuite is above the lounge and you can hear the tap running, the toilet flushing etc. I live quietly in comparison to my neighbour and find the noise intrusive. I feel unable to relax properly in my home. I had a conversation with my neighbour at the time as the NHBC sent me a sound diary to complete and told me I had to get him to sign a consent form so that if sound testing took place this was acceptable to both parties. I understood this, but unfortunately, although my neighbour agreed to do this at the time, he just wouldn't sign in the end, so I had no option other than to drop the whole subject. As I am unable to sell at present I am wondering whether I still have any chance of pursuing this problem again with NHBC, as there is still 6 years left of the warranty. It has caused me some anxiety to be honest as I don't want anything to affect the re-sale of my property, but I presume that if no defect is found any investigation would not have to be declared, and if there is a problem the builder would have to put it right? I don't hold out much hope of a resolution though after reading some posts on here as it seems any sound testing seems to go in the builder's favour! My builder insisted the house has been built to robust details, which I understand means no sound testing was done, and they weren't interested in investigating. I really don't understand why in this day and age builders can't get something as important as sound insulation right. Any advice would be very welcome, thank you.

NewHomeExpert

First of all who is the house builder that didnt want to investigate this properly?

You reported this to the house builder within the first year and it is "logged" and unless it was signed-off as solved, it may be considered by the NHBC under the warranty. However, sound insulation problems are not warrantied in years 3 to 10.

From what you have described your home has been badly built and many of the standard sound transfer prevention measures have been over looked or badly executed. However as it is now year 4 of the warranty the house builder has no obligation to do anything. If the NHBC judge there is a problem and a claim is valid they will instruct a builder to do the necessary work. The process will be lengthy and involve sound tests and even if the NHBC do agree to remedial work it is likely to be extensive and a great nuisance to you and your neighbour.

House builders use "Robust Details" as they are self-certifying that the home complies and was built to the details.
A proper independant sound test would in all probability result in a fail for a large proportion of new homes built each year, hence the industry negotiated this "get-out".

Finally the fact that you are having trouble selling does not surprise me.
Too many new home buyers buy their new home without giving future selling any thought whatsoever.
You are now selling a second-hand home without any of the 'cover all' two-year warranty.
My guess is it is on a cramped overdeveloped horrible estate, with many other homes on the market with you, tired un maintained general landscaping, and most of the homes in need of smartening up. Furthermore the extent and effect of parking issues and social housing will also be obvious. 75% of UK home buyers would not even look at a house built since 2003.
Perhaps within a mile or so are a brand new estate with help-to-buy and other deals for homes just like yours....... but virgin new.

The only selling aid you have is price. Reduce it by £5,000 a month until you get people looking round.

Last edited:

Luckyday20

It was Cala Homes. I appreciate your reply, and your thoughts, although it makes pretty depressing reading. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I obviously wish I'd found this forum before I'd bought. I feel a little as if I've been told off for buying a new home! I had hoped for a quiet retirement in an energy efficient low maintenance home, and I have to say my heating bills are half as much as in my previous house, but I do feel annoyed that builders seem to be allowed to get away with faulty workmanship and the buyer is powerless to resolve it. Oh well, onward and upward .... or downward in the case of my selling price!

NewHomeExpert

Your heating bills may well be half those of your previous house but i expect your new house is half thre size!
That said, new homes do use less energy than older ones - provided the house builder has installed all the insulation!
It is dreadful that any house builder can pay lip service to the defective homes they build.
Worse, they (the CEOs) care nothing about doing anything about stopping it happening over and over again.
They have zero motivation to improve, all the time trusting people are taken in by the "new build" con trick.
If the warranty providers increased premiums for every letter they receive, or barred a major housebuilder then perhaps it may get better.

The most important thing is builders must start to allow sufficient time to build a new house so it is built and inspected properly.
Not just throw them up to achieve targets and profits!

It is not your fault for buying a new home, it is CALA's fault for not building it properly!