Malvern Vale

New Build Inspections

Neice

Hi,
After reading reviews etc about Persimmon Homes I'm really worried. I have put my name down for a 3 bed detached next year for £220,000. I'm a late first time buyer as been a single mum for 18 years. I was upset to fine out no carpets included in the price and if I want a garage door will have to pay an extra £600. This will be huge for me and dont want to go ahead if I'm going to have all sorts of problems. Any advice would be great. Thanks. Denise.
Would just like to add we loved the showhouse and the 2 ladies I have dealt with have been very helpful and friendly. Its such a shame there are plenty of people saying bad things when maybe the majority are happy with the houses they buy but dont put that on the forums.

Last edited:

SteveF

Hi there

I think it is important to understand that not all new home purchases go terribly wrong. Generally I believe that if a builder is employing a knowledgeable, experienced and dedicated site manager then it is to be expected that quality and standards issues will be minimal therefore the rest is down to the ethical behaviour of the particular builder/developer. When you are armed with all of the public information available then it is easy to make a valued judgement regarding purchasing a new home so really no one else should be making the decision for you.

With regards to the two sales ladies remember they are just that "sales ladies" and once the sale is processed and completion has taken place they will not be in a position to offer any assistance should you need anything addressing.

Good luck with your decision making.

SteveF

Neice

Hi Steve,

Thankyou so much. I appreciate it. Just a novice at buying. Been renting privately and got fed up of paying someone elses mortgage. As I'm doing it on my own not got anyone really that I can trust to do what's best for me. The house isnt ready till next year and the lady told me I am more than welcome to go see the house while it's being built as long as she and someone else is with me. Think I might be a bit paranoid reading the few negative comments. I was looking off site but nothing has jumped out at me. Do you think they might throw in the garage door. Do find it odd that there isnt one. Thanks again. Denise. :)

SteveF

Paranoid ....just be well informed

Hi Steve,

Thankyou so much. I appreciate it. Just a novice at buying. Been renting privately and got fed up of paying someone elses mortgage. As I'm doing it on my own not got anyone really that I can trust to do what's best for me. The house isnt ready till next year and the lady told me I am more than welcome to go see the house while it's being built as long as she and someone else is with me. Think I might be a bit paranoid reading the few negative comments. I was looking off site but nothing has jumped out at me. Do you think they might throw in the garage door. Do find it odd that there isnt one. Thanks again. Denise. :)

Hi Denise

Its a pleasure....if you think i have helped in anyway then that has made my day!!

One way to hopefully ease any concern is to become friendly with the site manager and butter him up.....tell him of your concerns regarding all the bad things that you have read on the internet and massage his ego by asking him to explain how the house is built and the inspection processes that are undertaken. Let him know that you have been told he is a very good site manager who will ensure that the home is built to the very best standards....he may the go that extra mile to ensure there is nothing for you to complain about!!

Try to find someone in your network of acquaintances that has some technical construction knowledge that is prepared to give the house a once over for you when it is ready for completion or failing that arrange for a snagging inspection company to carry out the inspection for you.

When you are referring to the garage door surely you don't mean the external garage door and what you are referring to is a new door opening from inside the house to the garage?

SteveF

Neice

Hi Steve,

Yes you did help. Its always the negative that jumps out at you no matter what it is. I'm a pretty friendly person and very chatty and apparently people like it. Well that's what my customers tell me. The sales lady has said I'm welcome to go up any time and I've already put £500 down to reserve a house. I've told her I will pop up with a flask and some biscuits for the builders. I never thought I would be able to buy a house being a single parent but as I said sick of renting and I just spend my money on silly things that I don't need and I was told on what I earn to go for it. So it's a huge step for me and I'll be paying twice as much as I'm paying now so I want to make sure all will be OK.

I don't really know anyone to ask where I live about giving the house the once over. My gas man might know someone though. He said he could get someone to put a shower in the main bathroom. Already one there but over the taps and the girls need a shower as I don't want them always in mine like they are now. :)

The garage door will be there to park the car but no door into house or garden. I want to turn it into a gym as got loads of equipment that wont go anywhere else. I am going to board up the inside of the garage so need a normal door. I can have one at the back of the garage going into the back garden for £600 so again might be able to get a builder to do it?

Thanks for all your advice. It really has helped.
Have a great day,
Denise.