Brickwork issues with my new bellway home

New Build Inspections

Aw94

Hi all,

Wondered if someone could help me out. I recently purchased a 3 bed home from bellway. I've noticed some pretty poor brickwork in my opinion on the gable end towards the top out where the bricks meet (the left brick is much smaller in length to the right so they aren't level) Having spoken to the site manager, he has flat out told me it won't be getting fixed and that it is within tolerances of NHBC. I've since then done my best to find the tolerances and if I'm correct then it's way out of tolerance. I'll attach a pic and would appreciate any help, I feel a little fobbed off because I just don't think they want to have to fix it because I think it would mean stripping a number of bricks back so that they are more equal on either side. Is this within tolerances or should I be pushing bellway to fix this? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20210624_190338.jpg
    20210624_190338.jpg
    937.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210624_190335.jpg
    20210624_190335.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 8

New Build Inspector

snagging inspections 01788 494400
hi there

you can download the NHBC guide to brickwork off the internet ....but in my humble opinion whilst its not technically or aesthetically correct .....its impact is low and you will find the NHBC has a clause saying that the solution should be in relation to the problem ...so in my experience of hundreds of NHBC arbitration meetings ...they would not find in your favor

so not protecting the builder here ..just giving you a frank reply

and if you did get it fixed ...the new bricks and mortar in the area would stand out and just point out that some changes had been made in this area...sometimes the repair can look worse than the problem

it doesnt affect the structure and no valuer or surveyor in the future would bother with it

but its your home and your call

Aw94

Thanks very much for your reply. If its not technically correct why wouldn't they fix it? I think the tolerance is 8mm is that right? Hard to find in the nhbc documentation! Is it likely the fix would look worse than how it currently looks? Thanks

New Build Inspector

Because of what I said above

If you read the pre amble to nhbc document "a consistent approach to finishes" ..it states

The fix and the effort required in order to make good should be proportion to the problem

Now I don't make the rules or enforce them

I just advise clients my opinion and thier options available

So if we're talking about the same thing the uneven brickwork at the apex ... Then it's that to which I refer .

Had a client last year with chipped bricks in his wall ...it wasn't technically correct like your case

I told him the fix would look worse than the problem ...( But hey what do I know I've only been doing this 3 decades)

He insisted builder remove and replace affected bricks ..which he did

And when finished with bricks from a differing batch and differing colour mortar

Then he had the cheek to send me pics and email saying it no longer all matches and looks terrible

Horses....water !!!! I did try to warn him

New Build Inspector

I've just realised you mean that the roof differs in pitch from one side to other

My apologies ..looking on my phone and didn't see the green angle finder on roof

Yes ..more of an issue ..i suspect but can't see on photo that trusses are at 45 degrees but the brickwork differs at the gable

I suspect the brickwork might have gone up before the trusses arrived so the had nothing to work with

What does it look like from ground level at 10m as that's the assessment criteria

So yes

Speak with your builder ..if they continue to refuse go to arbitration and see what the Nhbc has to say ...you have nothing to lose

Aw94

Sorry I think you have found an issue I wasn't aware of. I just saw uneven brickwork, you're saying the two different sides of the gable are different angles??

Last edited:

Aw94

Sorry, I dont fully understand what you mean but I'm worried now. What is the green angle finder? Apologies If I'm asking daft questions

Aw94

I know that the brickwork was done after the trusses had gone up because I have a pic. Just seeing if I can get it uploaded because its saying file too large

New Build Inspector

On your photos. When seen on my phone ... you have what I thought was some form of green superimposed angle former ...I thought you were saying that the pitch changed from one side to the other and was using this green thing to show it ...

Bit of a misunderstanding there

So what's the green thing in the photos ?

I'll get my laptop out when stopped travelling and have better look ..

Aw94

I dont know what it is? I'm very concerned now. I think you may be right, if you look at the first pictures I sent the very top brick sort of sticks up on an angle which I imagine is because the two sides aren't the same angle?

Aw94

Thanks very much I'll email now, unfortunately I don't think I've got any better photos thanks for your time much appreciated