Hardcore/Rubble (new build garden)

New Build Inspections

[Glen]

My new build is on former fields and marshland. There was no former structure on my plot, although there was an unusable asbestos-riddled building not far away that Redrow needed to demolish.

My garden was delivered with 2"-3" of topsoil (basically the turf), a 6"-8" layer stony powdery whitish soil littered with rubble, and beneath that is the deep and fertile soils that I anticipated.

Planting some shrubs has been a real pain. What normally takes a few minutes extends to hours pulling out clumps of hardcore/rubble, odd bits of twisted iron, chunky glass pieces, and some odder blue/white materials that appear from a different age - my guess is demolition rubble. Furthermore, the mix includes newish nuts, bolts, and tiling underlay (the same products used in my house) and this makes it clear that what I have found is Redrow's rubble dumped in my garden.

I doubt this pile of hard crud can go in the council bins, so how do I dispose of it? Should Redrow collect?

Last edited:

New Build Inspector

snagging inspections 01788 494400
have word with the site manager and ask him if they can send around a mini skip loader , thats an attachment for the front of the fork lift , and if you can put thier crud in it

i dont see why not , it wont cost him anything

if he wont help ,,,,take photos and post on any web site that will let you

depending on where you found it ...top soil should be a min of 60mm within a defined area

see nhbc standard on gardens , you can download from net

alladin

[Glen];11028 said:
My new build is on former fields and marshland. There was no former structure on my plot, although there was an unusable asbestos-riddled building not far away that Redrow needed to demolish.

My garden was delivered with 2"-3" of topsoil (basically the turf), a 6"-8" layer stony powdery whitish soil littered with rubble, and beneath that is the deep and fertile soils that I anticipated.

Planting some shrubs has been a real pain. What normally takes a few minutes extends to hours pulling out clumps of hardcore/rubble, odd bits of twisted iron, chunky glass pieces, and some odder blue/white materials that appear from a different age - my guess is demolition rubble. Furthermore, the mix includes newish nuts, bolts, and tiling underlay (the same products used in my house) and this makes it clear that what I have found is Redrow's rubble dumped in my garden.

I doubt this pile of hard crud can go in the council bins, so how do I dispose of it? Should Redrow collect?

If the builders are still around they would have skip where you will be able to dispose which my neighbour did. I was lazy in my case and had to get the heavy duty bags from B&Q to take the rubble/grass/soil etc to the council recycle center as by the time I started to do my gardening bit, the builders left the site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Cranston

please can you post photos on this page of the odder blue/white materials you have found in your garden, as you have said there was an unusable asbestos-riddled building not far away that Redrow needed to demolish.

This could be rubble from this building and it could be asbestos that was buirried in your garden

New Build Inspector

snagging inspections 01788 494400
[Glen];11028 said:

It is possible to get an independant laboratory to assess samples of your material in back garden

JasmineMontes

Absolutely, creating a garden from scratch can be quite the journey, even if it was a few years back! Have you managed to transform your space since then? Incorporating a summerhouse from https://www.scottsofthrapston.co.uk/summerhouses/ could still be a fantastic addition to your garden, providing a cozy spot to relax and enjoy the beauty you've cultivated. Their designs can complement gardens of any stage, adding a touch of elegance and functionality.

Last edited: