Window Flashing - New Build Snag?

New Build Inspections

Gordy

Hi,

New to the form I'm afraid and fairly clueless about building but moving into a new-build this week. Although we haven't done formal snagging yet, I was a little concerned looking up at one of the windows as it looks like the flashing strip (if that's the correct term) hasn't been fitted very well?

Could anyone tell me if this would count as a snag?

On the other windows the plastic leaves only a little bit of brick showing and on other houses the flashing seems to be almost flush.

Thanks v. much

window.jpg

NewHomeExpert

I am concerned that only 50% of the brickwork above the window appears to be supported on the lintel.
You should not be able to see the holes in the bricks!

You really need to use a professional snagging company BEFORE you legally complete and move in!
Who is the house builder?

Gordy

Hello, thanks v. much for your reply.

The builder is David Wilson. We're due to complete on Friday, and we really can't be late or we'll be homeless!

I was thinking maybe an inspection would be useful as we've noticed quite a bit of the render has fallen off too which they've patched and painted, but it still sounds very hollow when you tap it. I know very little about render so I don't know whether it's serious or not!

Thanks for your advice!

NewHomeExpert

Hello, thanks v. much for your reply.

The builder is David Wilson. We're due to complete on Friday, and we really can't be late or we'll be homeless!

I was thinking maybe an inspection would be useful as we've noticed quite a bit of the render has fallen off too which they've patched and painted, but it still sounds very hollow when you tap it. I know very little about render so I don't know whether it's serious or not!

Thanks for your advice!

Render falling off is serious!
It could be for several reasons:
1) Not reinforced around windows.
2) No or incorrectly spaced movement joints
3) Render mix applied in too hot/cold/wet weather
4) Incorrect type of block used underneath.
5) Movement by the building

Patching the render and painting over is a bodge job.
Mark Clare the CEO of Barratt would be horrified!

You should always use a independent professional snagging inspector.
Always money well spent.

Gordy

emailed an inspection co this morning.... hoping they will help :)

Will try keep the forum updated!

Thanks,

Last edited:

JAKing

emailed an inspection co this morning.... hoping they will help :)

Will try keep the forum updated!

Thanks,

well worth having the inspection done, even after completion if you can't get it done before (which would have been even better), for inspections if you have a couple of days, I am having mine done tomorrow (12th June 2014) and will gladly send you my findings on the snagging company I used (good or bad) may help you pick one.

NewHomeExpert

Thats the way it is.
People post, ask for help and advice and dont even come back and say thank you, let alone let others know the outcome.

Gordy

Thats the way it is.
People post, ask for help and advice and dont even come back and say thank you, let alone let others know the outcome.

Hiya,

sorry for not following up; that is a bit poor of me. I've been meaning to, but we're still waiting on anything to be done about it!

Some guy did come round and assure us that the lintel is not load bearing. Then a bricky came round and was about to knock the bricks out :eek:, until I stopped him.

The proposed solution is to provide a decorative finish to hide the brickwork, although when they'll get round to it I'm not sure.

We started off very positively with DW but it's not been so good recently, for a variety of reasons. I was hoping, when everything is complete, to write a full "house-review" in case it helps anyone in the future. We've certainly learnt a lot, but as is typical, we're not planning to move again for a long time (hopefully)

NewHomeExpert

Lintel is not load bearing!
What do you think it is there for?
Of course it is loadbearing!

I am amazed that this has not been sorted out by now.
You really need to get the NHBC involved, especially as Barratt have not helped you since May!

Gordy

The argument goes that the outer brickwork is only decorative.

They came round today and it's going to be fixed next week by sticking a panel over the existing lintel to hide the brickwork.

So long as it looks ok, I guess we'll be happy enough. I did think about getting a surveyor round but I don't think it's necessary.

NewHomeExpert

Talk about papering over the cracks!
The new panel will crack too if its fixed on to something already broken.
Which idiot at Barratt are you talking too?
Brickwork is not cosmetic or decorative. It keeps the weather out and adds stability to the cavity wall.
It even helps stop the timber franed houss blowing down!

Gordy

I've asked DWH to provide a written confirmation that the brickwork there is decorative and they will be liable for any future issues. Not sure what else to do at the moment. They haven't got back to me yet

NewHomeExpert

If they haven't got back to you by now they're not going to.
Keep writing until you get a response.
Don't give up.
Write to the NHBC and make sure they investigate.

Gordy

Well, no confirmation about the structural necessity of the lintel yet, but a guy has been round to "fix" it.

I think it looks awful :(

IMG_8495.jpgIMG_8496.jpgIMG_8497.jpg

NewHomeExpert

Thats not a "FIX" they have just covered it up with a plastic capping.
By the way it is structural, its holding up all that brickwork over.
But the plastic capping is not structural. I suspect it was this that was cracked, not the structural lintel which appears to be steel. (Catnic type)

Gordy

An NHBC guy has been round and was very helpful. He's told DWH that the lintel repair is not good enough and they've to do it again. Catnic are going to advise whether it's structurally sound first too.