When are cracks snagging issues?

kevinyork

Been in our new home for 15 months now. Had a huge list of issues to deal with which ultimately required the NHBC to intervene and carry out about £10,000 of work to rectify heating problems.

Anyway, we are now down to the last few issues. Our house is detached and the 2nd floor is within the roof. On that floor, every skirting board has gaps in the corners, every door frame has cracks along the joints and where they are affixed to the wall and most worryingly where the plasterboard wall meets the ceiling there a gap of about 1cm has opened up along a 6 foot length which then continues into the adjoining bathroom and a crack extends along part of the ceiling. The carpets need restretching as there are now gaps of about 1cm between the carpet edge and the skirting where the skirting has retreated.

We have had 3 other new houses and never had these issues.

When the NHBC were here doing work, I asked the inspector if these gaps were acceptable and he said it was shrinkage and they didnt cover shrinkage. I asked how far shrinkage could go and he said as long as it wasnt caused by movement in the building then they didnt cover it.

We would need complete redecoration on that floor with works to repair the cracks and gaps but we cant do that yet as they are still opening up.

Does all this sound right? Surely there has to be a limit to the amount of shrinkage? We cant put these issues to the builder as they have stopped communicating with us (apparently have no money left and about to go insolvant).

Dear Kevin

You need to get your property check out properly and professionally ASAP.

The Expert Engineer || Cracks in detached garage walls due to untied roof structure.

Thermal cracking is an insurance buzzword. Why? Because they'll have to fix problems then.

I currently have a case on going, very similar to yours. Mainly small cracks, that the NHBC inspectors labelled a thermal. Several inspections and inspectors later, NHBC have agreed with me that the cracks are due to structural movement caused by poor workmanship. I can even let you see that part of the NHBC report.

Please feel free to check out my site, I have give you a similar link above.

I'm pretty sure the problems that you are having will be identical to the job I'm currently on.

You feel I can be of assistance, give me a shout.

The Expert Engineer

SteveF

NHBC responsibility when builder does not satisfy his obligations.

Been in our new home for 15 months now. Had a huge list of issues to deal with which ultimately required the NHBC to intervene and carry out about £10,000 of work to rectify heating problems.

Anyway, we are now down to the last few issues. Our house is detached and the 2nd floor is within the roof. On that floor, every skirting board has gaps in the corners, every door frame has cracks along the joints and where they are affixed to the wall and most worryingly where the plasterboard wall meets the ceiling there a gap of about 1cm has opened up along a 6 foot length which then continues into the adjoining bathroom and a crack extends along part of the ceiling. The carpets need restretching as there are now gaps of about 1cm between the carpet edge and the skirting where the skirting has retreated.

We have had 3 other new houses and never had these issues.

When the NHBC were here doing work, I asked the inspector if these gaps were acceptable and he said it was shrinkage and they didnt cover shrinkage. I asked how far shrinkage could go and he said as long as it wasnt caused by movement in the building then they didnt cover it.

We would need complete redecoration on that floor with works to repair the cracks and gaps but we cant do that yet as they are still opening up.

Does all this sound right? Surely there has to be a limit to the amount of shrinkage? We cant put these issues to the builder as they have stopped communicating with us (apparently have no money left and about to go insolvant).

Hi Kevin

Go back to the NHBC and explain to them that the quote made regarding not dealing with shrinkage is not relevant in your circumstance.

Under the NHBC Warranty you are covered for the first 2 years after NHBC issue the Warranty Cover note for all defects and non compliance with NHBC Standards. These defects are to be rectified by the builder and if they fail to satisfy their obligations in this respect then the NHBC have a contractual obligation to either rectify the issues or to pay for those works to be carried out.

Read your Warranty documentation carefully and quote the various sections in written correspondence.

If you need any help let me know.

SteveF

NewHomeExpert

As a general rule cracking is not covered by the NHBC Buildmark warranty unless it is excessive. As a guide if you can get a 50p piece in the crack it is large enough to require rectification by the house builder.

Your ceiling/wall junction crack would fall into this catagory but the other cracking would not and can be easily rectified during normal re decoration.

Your cracking may have been made worse by water leaks from your heating or by remedial works to reinstate walls and floor not being carried out adequately.

From what you have said I would have your home independantly checked out by a professional.