What to do next

Discussion in 'Barratt Homes' started by Potts, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Potts

Potts New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I joined after experiencing on going issues with our Barratt's home which we have now occupied since new for approx. 3.5 years.

We have experienced numerous issues, too many to list, however we have a couple that continue to be unresolved, and quite frankly are now really getting on my nerves.

1. Damp in our bay window ceiling and water ingress down the walls following consistent heavy driving rain. This has now be attended too 4 previous times, and after arguing with a Barratt's director the last time we actually had what I thought was a good job done. However, following the heavy rain recently, the damp and ingress is back. Our neighbours also experienced problems previously, but it seems their houses are now OK and only our problem continues.

2. A leaking rear door, we have now had: 3 doors, 1 glazing panel, 1 frame, 2 thresholds, new hinges and several other attempts to fix this issue, but it still leaks.

3. A leak which seems to come through the boiler flue. This is very wind and rain dependant.

4. A leak through the front door, which I believe is down to poor fit, but the operatives just keep saying it's the threshold.

My concern is first how to go about getting these issues resolved, because I don't trust Barratt's ability to fix these. We live in a very exposed setting and get the full brunt of the wind and rain, so whatever is done, needs to be substantial. And they have now had too many unsuccessful attempts.

And then my next concern, is how much to consider going after for reasonable compensation/damages. They almost guaranteed me that it was fixed and wouldn't reoccur, at the last attempt, but it has, and I still continue to have the other on-going issues.

Is their any free legal advice I can get for this, especially in terms of how much compensation to consider reasonable.

Any advice would be appreciated. At the moment my only idea is to consider seeking an independent damp survey, which might help pin point the root cause of the problems. But I have no idea how much compensation would be considered reasonable for this plus all the other issues.

Thanks in advance

2. NewHomeExpert

NewHomeExpert Well-Known Member

You need to act fast!
    Unlike all other house builders, Barratt do actually give yiou a 5 year warranty although this is more restricted than the normal two year warranty in years 3 to 5.
    That said your bay window problems may be as a result of one or more of the issues I posted here:
    Bay window leaking causing damage to living room ceiling

Regarding compensation Barratt will tell you it is their company policy NOT to pay compensation. But they do!
    The amount will depend on how much you have been inconvenienced by the ongoing faults.
    If you are too greedy they will fight you all the way to court, being reasonable and you may get a few hundred pounds.
    At the edn of the day the acceptable amount is for YOU to decide.

Bear in mind also that Barratt takes pride in the level of customer satisfaction, NHBC quality awards and their 5 start status. They also Hate posts online like this!

Write to the CEO Mark Clare
    mark.clare@barrattplc.co.uk

and tell him you have had nearly four years of this and it is not good enough!

#2 NewHomeExpert, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  3. Potts

Potts New Member

Thanks NewHomeExpert,

I have already written to the director I previously dealt with, if I do not receive a prompt response I will forward this onto Mark Clare.

I read your post on the bay window issue, and I have done a lot of my own research into this before the last attempt to fix it. So I know for sure there is cavity trays fitted, and these do have ends and are also fitted cascading down the angled ends of the roof. I also know the lead is fitted under the trays, because I had to point this fault out to them on their previous attempt. There seems to be plenty of weep holes, but I can't tell whether these are blocked or not.

I can't understand why our neighbours are now OK and ours isn't, unless there is another underlying fault with our brickwork/house.

I will see what response I get from Barratt's, but I'm still going to look into my own damp survey

Thanks

4. NewHomeExpert

A damp survey will in all probability be a waste of your money in my opinion.
    It will only suggest what I said in the link post I gave you.
    You may even have a blocked cavity. Ask that they use an endoscope and camera to check it.

Barratt should be fixing this so write to Mark Clare and stop wasting your time on other directors that have already failed you!
    You may like to suggest to him that it is no good building 15,000 new homes a year if they have leaking bay window roofs that Barratt apparently have neither the will or the intelligence to successfully resolve.

5. zednine

zednine New Member

my doors don t leak at home so to say its the threshold is bollocks..

fitted badly end of..

6. NewHomeExpert

With the introduction of the ridiculous Part M mobility building regulations, it meant all new homes had to havce at least one external door with a maximum 15mm high threshold.
    This made it very difficult to stop water getting underneath.
    It also mean that the front door scraped the carpet and you can forget about a doormat too!
    Even if they do stop water getting in when new, in time the seal (as it is!) wears out and leaks.
    Part M was a rubbish idea.
    Why have mobility steps with a 150mm rise leading to the front door but not allow the front door to have a threshold?