weak mortar test

Discussion in 'Snagging - general' started by darren smeds, Aug 6, 2019.

1. darren smeds

darren smeds New Member

Hi all,

have been looking into buying a new property and after visiting one particular site, I noticed that the brick mortar seemed to be a bit weak.

After hearing reports about the weak mortar issue, I have strong reservations!

what I am trying to determine is if you can test if a home has weak mortar just by running a solid object along the mortar, I presume mortar that’s too hard can also be a problem, is there a way to test or know if a home has weak mortar on a new build (without sending samples to a lab) or is this something that would only rear its ugly head over time

many thanks

2. Makebetterhomes

Makebetterhomes Administrator

3. Makebetterhomes

Makebetterhomes Administrator

yes with experience you can get an idea by running something hard along it....however there needs to be a test done by you or by the builder

4. darren smeds

darren smeds New Member

Thank you Makebetterhomes, I noticed this topic had been covered before after I had posted this thread. The house in question did seem to have weak mortar and the flooring was also of the usual new build "high standard" with pops and creaks to boot, so with the help of this forum and its contributors, I decided to steer clear and save myself the headache.