Warranty used as an excuse for poor quality.

New Build Inspections

martynh99

We've been in a Miller property for 8 months and it's been hell. Before we moved, we had loads of problems getting a moving date despite being told the property was ready bar carpets, tiling and kitchen - this was 2 months before we wanted to move.
We finally got a moving date agreed after escalating to regional managers.
A week before we were due to move, we rang asking to see inside the property - on the day we were due to see it, the site manager refused us access.
We finally saw the house at 3pm the day before we should move.

We moved in and there were a number of things wrong and the finish on the property was appalling. Brusbmarks in all the paintwork, even on the large stairway walls - isn't that what rollers were invented for.
Every light fitting/switch/socket had overpaint on them, the plasterwork was poor with many trowel marks, dips etc.
Coving didn't meet properly at joints.
7 windows had to be replaced as all scratched. The bath leaked into the kitchen and fusebox on the first day resulting in the kitchen having to be redecorated.
Kitchen unit doors, we've been waiting for 8 months for some to be replaced.
We've had 2 other leaks inside the property, the latest resulting in the lounge having to be redecorated.
1 leak on the roof that has let water seep into the soffits and soak the front of the house. This was down to flashing not being in place correctly.
Cracks in the mortar on the roofing alongside the dormers has been re-applied 4 times and has cracked away again.

Kitchen tiling all out of line. WC downstairs, wastepipe wasn't fitted correctly so sewer smells were coming back into the room.
Missing screws from door hinges and keeps.
Nails hammered through architrave,
Bricks loose on the garage, cracked tiles, mortar missing from around the roofline.
Gutters realigned 4 times as they can't seem to be able to use a spirit level.
DPC is below ground level.

We've compared this to another plot that is still for sale on the development and that finish is far superior to ours.

Now escalated this to the board of directors after getting fobbed off by customers services and region director - they say it's all built to NHBC standard and the warranty covers problems in first 2 years. Yeah right. A warranty is to correct defects, it's not an excuse to use poor quality contractors on a job and cutting corners.

Tony

Administrator
Hi Martyn,

This is not an unusual story which highlights yet again how few rights buyers of off-plan property have in the UK. If you had involved a professional snagging company they probably would have delayed completion while they sorted the house out - this is a very common outcome.

Anyway, going forward you need to keep meticulous records of all correspondence, missed appointments, days off work, confirm the outcome of all calls in writing and take photos (you can upload these onto this site) etc. If you need to take legal action this will be very useful.

Tony

martynh99

Thanks Tony.
We didn't really buy offplan as the house was built, just needed kitchen units, carpets and Tiling choices so we knew the plot, we were just not let inside until the day before we moved.

I've already put photo's on here external and internal but they're only a few.

We've kept good correspondence records.

martynh99

Well we've spoken to Tim Hough (Chief Exec) and he didn't seem that bothered at all and just fobbed it off back to the regional director.

In recent days, the regional people have sent the wrong contractor to the wrong estate to inspect our driveway - delay of another week.

Sent the wrong replacement kitchen doors despite inspecting the kitchen and checking the kitchen plans whilst on the phone to me.

Now waiting for a phone call from Keith Miller himself, should be today according to his PA.

Tony

Administrator
These people are not really interested in customer care as the customer retention rate is so low. They are generally run by city accountants who are primarily concerned with maximising the profit from their land banks for the share holders.

Mention the press and the specific programmes and researchers on this site that are looking for case studies and you might be surprised at the results. They don't like negative publicity.

Good luck

Tony

martynh99

Just had the yorkshire region construction director on re: the DPC and Airbricks issue (see pictures in gallery http://www.snagging.org/index.php?s...=com_gallery&Itemid=43&include=view_photo.php & http://www.snagging.org/index.php?s...=com_gallery&Itemid=43&include=view_photo.php

Says they will come out Tuesday and probably take a brick out to take a look and make sure there is a damp tray fitted. Hopefully not as serious as Emanuels http://www.snagging.org/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,83/func,view/catid,112/id,916.html#916

martynh99

Well they have failed to deliver again all this week. I have now taken 3 days off work in the last 2 weeks waiting for parts to arrive and contractors to turn up who don't.

I spoke to Tim Hough (the chocolate fireguard) again today who just doesn't understand that failure of the contractors is down to Millers not exercising control over them. He simply says let them deal with organising them.

I have tried repeatedly to speak to Keith Miller and leave voicemails for him but Tim Hough appears to be listening to these (including the ones where I criticise his handling of this). These Voicemails were left for Keith Miller to listen to, not Tim so I am really annoyed at this practice.

Tonight I decided to ring Keith Miller at home, I got as far as saying 'hello and sorry to disturb him at home but I would like 10 minutes of his time to discuss this - he cut me off at the word 10. Kind of explains where his staff get their attitude from.

Tony

Administrator
How did you manage to get his home phone number? I think the problem is that he hasn't got an award for customer care :laugh:

* CBE
Awarded in the 2005 New Year Honours' List to Miller Group Chief Executive, Keith Miller, in recognition of his services to the Scottish Construction Industry and to Charity.

* Scottish Business Achievement Award Trust (SBAAT)
SBAAT Award 2003 : Awarded to Miller Group Chief Executive, Keith Miller

* Ernst & Young Scottish Entrepreneur of the Year
2006 : Awarded to Miller Group Chief Executive, Keith Miller

martynh99

Really easy. Just get a list of the company directors from Companies House or any other Company Credit Report company, gives you the list of directors, all other directorships held by them and their home address.
Then do a BT directory enquiry search, simple as that.

Interestingly, 2 ccjs in 2005, 3 in 2006 and 2 already in 2007.

Date Court Amount Status Case Number
15/01/2007 BOLTON £1428 Judgment 6BL05021
13/01/2007 SHEFFIELD £2427 Judgment 6SE18558
16/11/2006 NORTHAMPTON CCBC £5142 Judgment 6XH81308
20/04/2006 WAKEFIELD £520 Judgment 6WF00836
27/02/2006 LEICESTER £459 Judgment 5LE08759
09/11/2005 WARRINGTON £934 Judgment 5WA02811
15/04/2005 CREWE £7690 Judgment 5CW00048

martynh99

And a google search reports he is a keen yachtsman with a yacht called Crackerjack and he races it quite successfully.

The internet is a wonderful place ;)

Tony

Administrator
Any idea how you find out what the judgments are for? This would be really useful data.

Tony

martynh99

Unfortunately that is a paid for service by the registry trust. http://www.registry-trust.org.uk/
One search on a Register or section of the E&W Register £ 8.00
Two Registers and/or sections of the E&W Register £ 16.00
Three Registers and/or sections of the E&W Register £ 20.00
Four Registers and/or sections of the E&W Register £ 25.00
Five or more Registers and/or sections of the E&W Register £ 30.00

Tony

Administrator
It is a shame that it is not free as it would useful to use this to create a simple league table based on quality related CCJ, so much for the FOI legislation.

Tony

martynh99

martynh99 wrote:
About 1 month now has passed since the roofers visited for the 5th time to fix this
Here are the pics from today !
Well, the new roofing company that's been allocated to the work has been out today and fixed the pointing again so lets hope they're better than the last ones.

Also found out that the lead flashing in front of the dormer windows needs removing and refitting as it drops towards the dormer itself rather than away. Unfortunately my Digital camera has packed in so can't get a good photo of the worst section but some of it can be seen on this photo http://www.snagging.org/index.php?s...=com_gallery&Itemid=43&include=view_photo.php

martynh99

The Roof !

martynh99 wrote:
About 1 month now has passed since the roofers visited for the 5th time to fix this
Here are the pics from today !

Well, the new roofing company that's been allocated to the work has been out today and fixed the pointing again so lets hope they're better than the last ones.

Also found out that the lead flashing in front of the dormer windows needs removing and refitting as it drops towards the dormer itself rather than away. Unfortunately my Digital camera has packed in so can't get a good photo of the worst section but some of it can be seen on this photo http://www.snagging.org/index.php?s...=com_gallery&Itemid=43&include=view_photo.php

Liz.76

Re:The Roof !

martynh99
Do let us know if they finally sorted it and you havent had any problems since.

Best regards

Liz.76

martynh99

Apart From !

Despite them
- being up on the roof half a dozen times to fix the cement bedding for the tiles around the dormer
- fixing a leak that was caused by the flashing not being long enough

they didn't spot the fundamental problem that all the houses in the cul-de-sac suffer from. That is that the flashing dips where it joins the dormer window leaving a trough for water to collect in and in some cases leak through to the room.

To fix this they need to put up scaffolding for 3 days, take off some rows of tiles, take off & replace the flashing, then replace tiles etc.