Taylor Wimpey Hell

I read this Forum so only bought a Taylor Wimpey house as a last resort this summer: we wanted to keep the sale of our house and didn't want to go into rented accommodation. Oh boy do I regret that decision. We're on their new customer care path they've put in to improve things so can't imagine how bad it was before.

I started this post wanting to rant and rave about what we see as incompetence, 'less than accurate truths' and just really bad workmanship. But I've got to this point and am so unhappy, and stressed out (stressed out child too), that I can't type it all out yet again at the moment (so many emails to and from Taylor Wimpey).

If you are reading this as you consider buying a Taylor Wimpey property, at this point all I can say is, in my opinion DON'T!! Run away from it no matter what they offer you!!

If you want to buy a house that you don't have to wonder 'what else have they got wrong', 'are there any more nails through wires', 'where's the next leak going to be', 'can people in the lounge hear absolutely everything as I sit on the loo', that has working central heating, 'is there anything else they didn't disclose' or simply 'are they misleading me' then Taylor Wimpey probably, in my experience, isn't for you.

Been in 2 1/2 months and God I wish we'd never bought this place.

divine

Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. We are here to help. There are many members that have been or are in a similar situation

Best wishes,

Divine

Thank you!
After having loosing another day off trying to get them to listen I'm looking forward to a couple of days at work being treated like an adult. I have a stressful job but it's better than dealing with Taylor Wimpey.
I've got my fingers crossed that giving yet another chance will pay off ... but think probably kidding myself. Actually considering buying a single share to attend the AGM and try and raise issues :)

TheInspector

Sorry to hear your problems but sadly the problem is mostly the site agent. I am a surveyor who carries out snagging reports for clients and the best report I have ever carried out (i.e. least snags and best finish) was recently to a Taylor Wimpey home.

Good luck in the meantime.

NewHomeExpert

You are clearly not very good at it!
All new homes will have around 100 snags or defects, that is even after the housebuilder site manager has snagged it.
If indeed he does.
It's not all about minor decoration blemishes. More often it will be NHBC standards and building regulations that are not adhered to.
And Taylor Wimpey, whilst not as bad as Persimmon and Bovis in my opinion are still pretty bad for quality and customer service after moving in and putting defects right.

TheInspector

I don't think you should be suggesting I am not very good at it. You don't know me or my work and I would suggest you learn some humility before you start accusing other people of incompetence. As a qualified surveyor I would be looking at everything, particularly adherence and compliance to building regs. I was just making a simple point that if the site agent does his job well, as in the case I was using as an example, then the amount of snagging should be restricted to some decoration blemishes. In my experience if you carry out your own snagging then you are likely to find far more than 100 snags, depending on your knowledge of construction. However, if they have been informed you have hired a professional the average of 150 snags drops to around 20-30 and in this particular case only 10. And what exactly is a new home expert? I would debate that just as much as your perception of my incompetence.

You are clearly not very good at it!
All new homes will have around 100 snags or defects, that is even after the housebuilder site manager has snagged it.
If indeed he does.
It's not all about minor decoration blemishes. More often it will be NHBC standards and building regulations that are not adhered to.
And Taylor Wimpey, whilst not as bad as Persimmon and Bovis in my opinion are still pretty bad for quality and customer service after moving in and putting defects right.

NewHomeExpert

"New Home Expert" = Graduate in Building. Over 30 years construction management on site in the industry including building new homes. A winner of awards!
Now a campaigner for better quality new homes, full-time (unpaid!) for the last 7 years!

To be fair mate, you are not wrong, if the site manager does his job properly there would be no need for professional snagging inspectors at all.
Reality is different as most don't, and a great number of site managers are little more then "subbie bashers" and couldn't snag a home properly even if they had the inclination to do so.

The point I am making is Taylor Wimpey are the third worst housebuilder in my opinion, based on the number of people who seek my advice and tell me their own experiences. True, knowing that a particular purchaser might be awkward may mean they do take a bit more care.

The 100 snags was a round ball-park figure. Obviously it would depend on the size of the home, the site manager, when (time of year) it was built, when it was "finished" the type of construction, the warranty inspector and the housebuilder.

"Qualified Surveyor" = RICS?
Your website doesn't say much "about you" or your qualifications (or prices)
Safeguard your home or property investment with a professional inspection.
and your link to build consultant - everything about building is broken on your Home Page!
In fact several at the bottom of the page are!
Time to snag your website perhaps?

Last edited: