Sound proofing - ceiling - advice/remidial actions new build

New Build Inspections

Msry5cw2

We are in a new build conversion (old building new renovation) the ceiling of our flat is new and not an original part of building and the walls are plasterboard. We are being plagued by walking and thumping sounds from the apartment upstairs (no tv/music noises) the apartment is 9 months since completion, and the noise has got progressively worse in the last 3-4 months. We do not get noise through the walls or next door just through the ceiling. I am of the idea that the apartments have floating floors but could be wrong. We have contacted the builder/developer who are in the process of coming round and we have informed upstairs (to be honest I do not think it is anything to do with them and how they move around the flat). Firstly I'd like to know what sort of thing I should be questioning the builder on and any terminology for what type of issue I actually have and/or remedial action advised. Secondly failing potential action by them and nhbc what are potential sound proofing options for this type of noise issue. Thanks

NewHomeExpert

A properly installed floating floor is the only answer. It should be isolated from the walls too.
The builder will tell you its "impact sound" and not covered by Building Regulations!

Msry5cw2

Hi - thanks for your reply. i think upstairs have a floating floor - if this is the case but we are still hearing noise would it indicate a bad installation? secondly could you explain to me about impact noise not being covered by building regulations, as when i read Approved Document E of the Current Building Regulation it does refer to impact sound? Thank you

NewHomeExpert

Most house builders and warranty providers try to claim impact sound is excluded when test results show insufficient sound insulation.
If the updstairs floor is floating, sound transmission is almost certainly due to the floating floor not being isolated at the wall and skirtings.