Shoddy Building Work and Zurich Guarantee

New Build Inspections

fiddler

My wife and I moved into our new build house just over a year ago. It was built by a local independant builder. Six months after we moved in, we got the builder to come back and fix two cracked tiles on the kitchen floor, a broken shower extractor fan and some leaky guttering. Unsurprisingly the guttering is still leaking - apparently when they 'fixed' it, all they did was unblock it, but it is leaking from a join, I also have a back fence that is falling down because they didn't concrete in the posts and I have several cracks (about 5mm+ wide) that have appeared around just about any wood/plaster join, so doorframes, stairs, skirting boards etc. Oh yes and one of the showers still leaks. To top it all off we were promised electrical/gas certificates would follow but have been subsequently informed that 'you don't need these'.

The house is covered by a Zurich guarantee, not an NHBC one, does this mean I still have 2 years to get all the snags sorted/still entitled to the certificates? Is it any different to the NHBC one? Any thoughts on what we should do?

Fiddler

fiddler

Thanks Tony

What is the situation with the electrical and gas (corgi) documentation? I am guessing that I should have copies of these certificates?

Fiddler

willyj

Electrical and gas test certificates are a requirement of the Building Regulations. They are a legal requirement and the enforcing authority (probably the local council Building Control department) should have had sight of them before signing off the property against Building Regulations.

fiddler

How does this work when talking about path and driveways. The path that runs around the edge of the house has a lot of loose paving slabs. Looks like they haven't put enough of a base down. Where the path isn't moving, some of it has sunk. It's not like it has suffered a lot of foot traffic as there are only 2 people who live here! This would cost a lot to get rectified. Would I still be able to get the builder to do it under the snag list or am I pushing my luck now?

lexi09

Hi
No you are not pushing your luck, the path they have provided should have been constructed on a secure base and basically the workmanship should be guaranteed. Bring it to their attention and they should get their groundworkers back to re-secure all loose slabs which should not move and come loose within 12 months of moving in.
Good luck