Shelf under hot water tank collapsing Miller Homes

BoountyGirl77

We've lived in our Miller Home for around 6 years and have just noticed that our hot water tank is subsiding because the lightweight MDF shelf it is on has collapsed. The shelf was held up by a couple of bits of wood nailed in to the door frame with one nail each side. The nail has come out on one side at the front and nearly out on the other side. This was clearly shoddy work from day 1 but has only come to light when we removed the cover after noticing the tank was lopsided. See attached photos.

As you might expect, Miller claim that since we are outside the 2 year warranty we're on our own but that just feels so unfair when the workmanship was clearly substandard from the start. NHBC don't class it as structural so are not interested either. We've managed to 'chock' it up with wooden blocks for now but I am really worried the shelf is going to collapse completely and the tank topple out so would like to get it recitified as soon as possible. Can anyone suggest how we can convince Miller to take an interest in our situation??

Attachments

• Boiler 001.jpg
    Boiler 001.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Boiler 002.jpg
    Boiler 002.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Boiler 003.jpg
    Boiler 003.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 9
  • Boiler 004.jpg
    Boiler 004.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 9

NewHomeExpert

Not matter how many times I come on here, I am always surprised by the extent of the bodging and poor quality.
This has to be one of the worst I have seen this year!
It is hard to believe you were expected to put up with this finish, nails showing in door linings, a "Boilermate" propped up on bits of wood.
No wonder its collapsing.
This needs to be addressed soon as if it collapses you could well have a serious water leak. Your insurance may not cover you as you may be consiserd to have ignored maintenance.

I am even more surprised by Miller Homes attitude regarding this. Have you sent them the photos?
Tell them that their shoddy workmanship is online and will be a warning to other buyers if they do not return to put this right.
Complain to CEO Keith Miller, he should care, but don't count on it!
You can always put these photos on Unhappy New Home Owners Facebook group.

BoountyGirl77

Thanks very much for your response. We emailed photos to some of the the Miller directors and got a phone call the next day. They've been out and strengthened the structure with extra batons and pieces of wood. I was pleased they were responsive though still disappointed by the customer care representatives lack of understanding. All's well that ends well I suppose.

NewHomeExpert

Thanks very much for your response. We emailed photos to some of the the Miller directors and got a phone call the next day. They've been out and strengthened the structure with extra batons and pieces of wood. I was pleased they were responsive though still disappointed by the customer care representatives lack of understanding. All's well that ends well I suppose.

Perhaps my reply and my tweet linking your post on Twitter had something to do with it?
I am pleased it is now being sorted out. I hope they do it properly this time!