Room Sizes

New Build Inspections

The Way Beswick

Does anyone know, if there is a minimum room size for a bedroom? (Floor space)

If so what is it and if a room does not meet this standard, then what can you do about it?

Cheers

Gary

Tony

Administrator
There is no minimum size for a bedroom, there used to be but the rules only applied to social housing.

The problem with new build is that box rooms can be so small and the tolerances so great for wall placement that you can end up with a room that is not fit for purpose. The developers get round this by calling them studies in the larger houses. In show homes they will often use child size beds to make small rooms look bigger.

If a room is called a bedroom and you can't fir a standard size bed in it then you have grouds to make a complaint.

It is a shame we buy property based on no of bedrooms rather than floor space which is the case in most other countries.

Tony

The Way Beswick

Hi Tony

thanks for this

the room is called a 'bedroom' and guess what I can't fit a standard size bed in it, so can you advise what my cause or grounds are for complaining, the property was sold as 3 bedrooms, without a doubt!!!! I have raised this with the developer, but without any response to my question.

I understood the 'Housing Act' stated minimum 70sq ft. for an adult in terms of bedroom size, as this changed?

The development has some social housing provision within the scheme. This type of property has never been marketed a show home.

Cheers

Gary

Tony

Administrator
I believe the housing act only applied to social housing and was changed during the Thatcher era. It is alleged that she ended up with a very nice Barratt House at about the same time.

All is not lost. Contact Trading Standards, they may take action against the developer under the Property Misdescription Act and will hopefully be able to get the developer to carry out the necessary remedial work. Have you contacted your solicitor?

Tony

Post edited by: tony, at: 2006/05/16 22:17

The Way Beswick

Hi Tony

sorry it's been a while since I last posted and responded to your reply. I have conctacted TS as you suggested and this is ongoing.

I have another question that hopefully I will be able to get some answers

What are the implications if room sizes either exceed or are less than the 50mm stated on marketing plans and in the legal section of the developers website
'The dimensions shown on floor plan layouts are correct to within +/- 50mm'

What if they are not correct within 50mm + or -?

Does this form part of the legal contract and if so what can be done?

regards

Gary

Tony

Administrator
Hi,

I would also speak to your solicitor as this is what you pay them for. All the documents that you have read would form part of the contract, so you would probably have a case, especially in a small room where losing 10cm could prevent you getting a normal bed in and it can then not be classed as a bedroom.

Tony

The Way Beswick

That's great, thank you

What if some room sizes were approximately 400/500mm larger?

I'm also trying to establish, why this clause is there and the reason for it...

I will also contact my soilicitor on Monday

regards

Gary