Retentions

New Build Inspections

barrywhite

On the advice of other snagging.org users I plan to try and arrange a retention if I feel it is required when I complete the pre-completion walk through (with my snagging.org snagging list!). My question is will it still be possible for the conveyancer to arrange a retention at this late stage (we have already exchanged contracts) and do the developers have to agree to our proposal? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Administrator
It is not too late. You can ask for a retention or delay completion if there are serious problems with the property. Discuss it with your solicitor, so that she/he is aware that you may request this. You need to check the contract as well. They often have clauses that suggest completion cannot be delayed if paths, landscaping are not complete or becasue of minor snags. I hope it is not the solicitor recommended by the developer to "speed things up". As professionals they are supposed to be independent, but...

I was talking to a guy the other day who held back ?500 because the roads were not complete and the developers seem to have forgotten about it.

Tony

Tex

You can certainly try your luck! Although you will certainly have a challenge on your hand's getting them to agree!
It might even pay you at this stage to get your own independant surveyor or snagger to snag every stage throughout it's construction!
This would eliminate all problem's, although it'd probably set you back another ?1.5k, but well worth it!

Tony

Administrator
The problem is Tex most developers won't let the buyer, let alone an independent snagging inspector on site during the construction. Health and safety they say, but we know the real reasons...

You are buying blind - buyer beware

Tony

Tex

Very true Tony, A new face on a site is a worrying concern,
Health & Safety is a major factor in refusing entry.
Just so happen's i've all my safety,cscs,cis,hard hat, boots and as for there excuse's, i already now most of them, i probably invented them all! :wink: