Problems with New Build

New Build Inspections

Shasser

Hi my new build flat is 6 years old. One of my external walls is about 1/3 breeze blocks. I recently noticed a crack in one of the blocks. Is this sort of damage covered by the NHBC?

Also I have other problems with the flat:

(1) the floor does not seem level and i dont know if this is a result of the laminate floor not being level or whether the concrete floor is uneven. Is there a way to check without removing the laminates?

(2) my electricity consumption is very high. If I look at my meter my consumption is about 4 x highers than some of the other flats. I do not feel this reflects my consumption and I was wondering if it was possible for the developer to have wired my flat incorrectly? If so how can I check this?

(3) some of the external walls appear to be plaster board and other parts are concrete. is this normal? i would have expected all external walls to be concrete.

Last edited:

NewHomeExpert

1) Cracks to blocks. This could be covered by the NHBC warranty as it could be structural.
As this is the building fabric perhaps you should inform the freeholder and/or management comapny in the first instance.

2) Floor not level. This may be due to subsidence as a result of (1) above.
However it is more likely that the concrete floor is not perfectly flat or that the laminate has bowed if there were no movement gaps at the room perimeters when it was laid.

3) The communial electricity may be wired to your meter or you may be paying for something that should be communial like an external light for example.
Youi can check this after dark. Get a friend to watch outside then turn off your electricty at the main switch. If any lights outside go off then you are paying for electricity you shouldn't have to.
You should also try turning the communial power main switch too and check that all lights etc are off. Be aware some may be on a reduced battrery emergency power.
If you are unsure get someone familiar with electricity or a qualified electrician to do this for you. (Disclaimer)
If there are any problems write to the freeholder.

4) None of the external face of external walls will be plasterboard.
I presume you mean internally, in that case the external walls may have been plastered with internal dividing walls plasterboard, or some external walls may be a mixture of both but I can't see why they would be.

Last edited:

Shasser

Hi the blocks are glass blocks not breeze blocks. For some reason the developer used glass blocks on an external wall and one has now cracked and i notice today the crack has extended down the block. there are gaps around the laminate floor. is subsidence covered by the NHBC?

NewHomeExpert

Yes subsidence is covered under the NHBC ten year Buildmark warranty.

You did say;
"Hi my new build flat is 6 years old. One of my external walls is about 1/3 breeze blocks. I recently noticed a crack in one of the blocks. Is this sort of damage covered by the NHBC?"

No mention of glass blocks! These could crack due to stones being thrown at them.
Seems daft idea to me to use glass blocks.

Shasser

Yes subsidence is covered under the NHBC ten year Buildmark warranty.

You did say;
"Hi my new build flat is 6 years old. One of my external walls is about 1/3 breeze blocks. I recently noticed a crack in one of the blocks. Is this sort of damage covered by the NHBC?"

No mention of glass blocks! These could crack due to stones being thrown at them.
Seems daft idea to me to use glass blocks.

Hi I always thought those glass bricks were called breeze blocks. The glass is cracked from the inside not outside.

NewHomeExpert

Breeze block is a name which was commonly used to describe a 220 high x 440 long block made from blast furnace slag.
Nowadays it is used for any 220 x 440 block beit made of concrete aggregates or power station waste - though I have never heard of glass bricks being called breeze blocks.