Popularity?

Discussion in 'Barratt Homes' started by hanger_boy89, Dec 3, 2016.

1. hanger_boy89

hanger_boy89 New Member

My partner and I are really keen to purchase a Barratt home in a new development they're building near us. In order to get onto the waiting list, we need to have had an offer accepted on our property, so it's going on the market next week.
    Our issue is this - we have no idea how long the waiting list currently is, and from our conversation with the lady at Barratt Homes, she said they have a around 4-5 of the houses that we are looking at, being released in June/July for sale ready to move into in November/December next year.

When we have sold our property, we will need to move in with my parents for a while and let somebody else look after our dog while we are living there. The problem is that we don't even know if we'll be high enough on the waiting list to secure one of the houses in the Summer, meaning we might have to wait until the following year for the next phase!

We don't know what to do as we don't want to be living with my parents and without our dog for any longer than we have to, so my question is are Barratt Homes very popular and is there a strong chance of the waiting list being quite long do you think?

2. NewHomeExpert

NewHomeExpert Well-Known Member

Waiting list to buy a new home?
    If that was really the case, do you think they would have a sales advisor on site?
    They could sell the homes from their offices via the internet.

Sell your existing home now and with any prices increases, you may not even afford the prices next June/July!
    And you will have wasted six months rent costs too!

Tell this Barratt sales lady to stop lying and let you know when the homes are released.
    Then make your decision.

3. hanger_boy89

hanger_boy89 New Member

Well they have 2 houses for sale at the moment (but we're not in a position to buy those yet) and the next phase is currently being built, to be released for sale in June/July. She said that you need to get on the waiting list by either having an offer accepted on your home OR having the deposit secured if you don't have a property to sell. They then call you when a house has been released for sale (depending on where you stand on the waiting list) and you pay £500-1,000 to secure your plot. You then have 3-4 weeks to get your mortgage approved and sorted, and then the house is yours! Does this sound about right?

4. Matron999

Matron999 New Member

I'm no expert having only bought 1 new build house in 41 years but I wouldn't touch this house builder with a barge pole. Like NewHomeExpert has said you could be out of pocket what with price rises and rental costs. I don't think this sales woman is being very honest and why should you be held to ransom over a house that you may never buy. I would tell her your concerns and say thank you but we'll go elsewhere.

5. NewHomeExpert

NewHomeExpert Well-Known Member

What is happening here is you are being "qualified"
    That is s is only interested in dealing with buyers who are in a position to buy a home now an are unlikely to pull out du to not being able to sell, or not getting the mortgage. This is because she wants hard sales for the company's half year figures at 31 December 2016. Stated as "Advance Sales" in the report to investors.

What you then pay is a refundable Resevation Fee and normally you have 28 day so exchange contracts and py the 10% deposit. After that here I no going back without losing the 10%.

I suspect this shyster will tell you use their suggested solicitor as it will be "Quicker and easier" but never do this as you will be giving up control.

PLEASE .. spend some time reading he pages onb my website and protect yourself.
    Guide To Buying a Home - Do's And Don'ts
    Guide to buying a home
    Questions To Ask The Builder Before Buying A Brand New Home