Poor Brick Work and Other Issues

Discussion in 'Snagging - general' started by HOTR, Feb 18, 2019.

1. HOTR

HOTR New Member

Hi.
    Moved into our new build 6 months ago and I've noticed some oddities. Some may be normal and just the ignorance of me, a layman. But I'd be interested in the views of anyone with more experience than I as to whether there is anything serious in amongst this little lot.

Just to be clear, there are multiple examples of each issue below all over the house. Not just confined to what you see in the photo.

1. Bricks with literally no mortar between them in the lower courses of each wall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bricks with very little mortar up to the edges.
    [​IMG]

3. Bricks with crumbling mortar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Plastic pegs in mortar with little mortar around them
    [​IMG]

5. Cracked bricks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Cracks in stone (It's actually Bekstone, not a natural product)
    [​IMG]

7. Bricks with loose or broken facings.
    [​IMG]

9. Mortar beneath window sills is crumbling and breaking down
    [​IMG]

10. Mastic around window and door seals poorly placed and cracking leaving gaps.
    [​IMG]

11. Roof verge is so narrow on gable ends that when it rains, the rain drips constantly onto the plastic window sills below sounding like a machine gun. Also runs down the walls.
    [​IMG]

12. Steel lintel edges can be seen above tops of window frames.
    [​IMG]

13. Steel lintel above French doors and brickwork above that appears to be bowing slightly in the middle.
    [​IMG]

14. Stone boundary walls have caps on them with such a narrow overhang, rain water pours down the walls.
    [​IMG]

15. When in the loft outside can be seen between the bottom of the last run of tiles and tops of the front walls - Roof interior has thick gauze-like membrane fabric attached to it that blows in the wind. Loft is cold. I'm assuming it's designed to be a "cold roof". Just as a layman, I'm surprised to be able to see daylight
    [​IMG]

16. Brick walls don't appear to be laid straight with some bricks protruding along their length and height further than those adjacent to them and differences in mortar width.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think? Is this acceptable. Are there any serious issues?

Thanks!"

2. Makebetterhomes

Makebetterhomes Administrator

YOU HAVE A BIT OF ALL SORTS GOING ON

1. Some areas where the builder has failed to point up the scaffold pole holes
    2. some what appears to be damaged brickwork
    3, some thermal cracking around brickwork
    4 some light structural cracking through bricks in places
    5 some changes in the mortar colour to the gable end
    6 in the loft if the soffit is vented , this light could be normal , if not vented , then you got some gaps ...yes its a cold roof as the insulation lays on your ceiling
    7.50mm is the recommended overhang , seems like you have more than that on walls , but looks close on the gables

the seals should NOT be cracking at this age ...assuming fairly new

the bow in lintel is nothing to be concerned about

they should have mastic sealed under sills not pointed them , this is a small builder i guess and not one of the big builders , as they wpuld not make these basic mistakes

3. HOTR

HOTR New Member

Great reply. Thank you!
    When you say the seals cracking, do you mean the mastic around the windows?

Funny re the pointing under the sills - Stand to reason to me that it should be something flexible in their to cope with movement and heat expansion in the plastic windows.

It is a small builder, yes. Just 6 homes on this plot.

What would you recommend doing re the thermal cracking? Is that those bricks with damage to facings? Do they need replacing?

Thanks again.

4. Makebetterhomes

Makebetterhomes Administrator

THE THERMAL CRACKING COULD BE DUE TO A STRONG MORTAR MIX WITH TOO MUCH CEMENT IN IT....

OR TYPICALLY SOUTH FACING WALLS SUFFER FROM EXPANSION AND CONTRACTION IN THE HEAT AND COOL DAILY CYCLES

SOMETIMES ITS POOR DETAILING AROUND LINTELS SO EXPANSION FROM HEAT CASUES LINTOLS TO EXPAND AND MASONARY MOVES WITH IT

IT REALLY NEEDS SOME ONE TO TAKE A LOOK AT IT ALL

RE POINTING MAY HELP , IF THE PROBLEM KEEPS COMING BACK THEN IT NEEDS INVESTIGATING

YES ...SEALS MASTIC SEALS AROUND WINDOWS AND DOORS