Persimmon Leaks

New Build Inspections

Waterworld

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum. I have read some of the other posts and there seems to be some people on here who may have the knowledge to help me.

I have owned a Persimmon home for 24 months and have had 3 major leaks in months 12, 20 and 23.

The leak in month 20 decimated our property and meant a 5 figure claim on our insurance, plus a large amount of upheaval. Persimmon's plumbing subcontractor sent the offending plastic pipework tee junction to the manufacturer, of which I heard no more.

When speaking to the plumber that came out for my most recent leak, he said that the manufacturer had written back to the subcontractor and said that the one of the parts (grip ring) was fitted the wrong way around, which caused the leak. (I have been able to confirm this with the supplier and get their report in writing.)

I have sent 3 letters to Persimmon in the last 2 months, but whilst they seem to be engaging in dialogue, I have yet to receive anything from them in writing.

I feel that there is fault on their part and wish to seek compensation for the things not covered by insurance, but feel that the only way to do this would be to involve a solicitor.

Advice please!

SteveF

Hi Waterworld

From what you say your sign on name is very appropriate!

Can you give a little more information regarding the three separate leaks i.e. Where were they within the property/were the leaks to different parts of the installation or the same problem that manifested three times/did you inform the developer immediately/did the developer address the problem swiftly/why have you had to involve your home insurance.

SteveF

Waterworld

The first leak manifested itself as a large damp patch on the living room ceiling. This was diagnosed as a leak on the hot shower feed (bathroom above living room) Persimmon were able to fix the leak and after numerous visits from painter/decorators able to get house back to pre-leak condition.

The second and major leak was caused by a tee junction blowing on the plastic piping (coincidentally again above living room/below bathroom.) This was the incorrectly fitted grab ring.

The insurers were involved in this, as there was standing water throughout the lower ground floor. I informed Persimmon and they told me to get my insurers to sort it (I have references from NHBC, as I informed them also.) To be fair our insurers (Axa) were excellent throughout the process. I assume they will try and reclaim cash from Persiommon themselves.

The third leak was an overflow pipe that wasn't watertight. A fault on the heat cylinder caused water to go down the overflow, through the hole in the pipe and seep through the downstairs wall onto the new carpet. I am in the middle of getting this problem resolved.

All-in-all not the best of luck and to pardon the pun, the 3 problems highlighted are a mere drop in the ocean!

SteveF

Hi there

The first point that i would make is that the builder was and is liable to rectify any physical damage caused by a defect where the defect is identified and the builder is advised within the first 2 years of the warranty period. You have most probably done them a favour by involving your insurance in resolving the problem of replacement of damaged items. I doubt very much that your insurance would get anywhere in trying to recover the costs.
The second point has to be one of concern over the plumbing installation and potential future issues. Because the report that you have indicates that the "T" fitting was installed incorrectly there could be a problem generally. I would be taking this up with both the builder and the NHBC and insisting that the system is thoroughly checked or alternatively that the builders warranty liability in this regards is extended for an appropriate period.

Could i ask what the NHBC have said to you?

SteveF

Waterworld

The first point you raise is disappointing, but doesn't surprise me... We informed Persimmon's customer service first who told us that it was our insurers responsibilty. (it was the customer services manager, who gave us this misinformation!)

I informed NHBC at the same time, but as soon as they knew that the insurers were involved they seemed happy, so I'm also disappointed that they didn't ask why the builders were not sorting it. This is my only real contact with them, which was a quick call and a reference number.

The second point seems like a good idea, particularly in light of what has happened.

As I have only really spoken to Persimmon and the NHBC have had limited involvement to date I guess that would be the next logical step?

SteveF

Contact with Builder & NHBC

The first point you raise is disappointing, but doesn't surprise me... We informed Persimmon's customer service first who told us that it was our insurers responsibilty. (it was the customer services manager, who gave us this misinformation!)

I informed NHBC at the same time, but as soon as they knew that the insurers were involved they seemed happy, so I'm also disappointed that they didn't ask why the builders were not sorting it. This is my only real contact with them, which was a quick call and a reference number.

The second point seems like a good idea, particularly in light of what has happened.

As I have only really spoken to Persimmon and the NHBC have had limited involvement to date I guess that would be the next logical step?

Hi

I would also advise you never to communicate verbally....get everything in writing.

All mail from yourself should be either Royal Mail and recorder so that you have a receipt for delivery. Always send by email as a back up and request acknowledgement of receipt. Always put the claim ref number that you have received from the NHBC on your correspondence whether by RM or email.

If there is anything that you think i could help with let me know.

SteveF

Waterworld

Hi Steve,

I am writing a letter to Persimmon today...

I just wanted your opinion as to whether it is best to:
a.) Send this same letter to NHBC
b.) Advise Persimmon that if I don't get a satisfactory reply in x amount of time that I will contact NHBC.
c.) Ring the NHBC before I send the letter and give them the previous reference number and say that I would like to make a complaint.

I have taken everything else you have said on board so hopefully I will get a receipt acknowledging the letter soon.

Thanks

SteveF

Hi there

If it were me then i would write to the builder copying the NHBC in on the correspondence and also sending a separate letter of complaint to the NHBC at the same time and include your claims reference number on each piece of correspondence. Do you have an email address for the NHBC Claims?

SteveF

Waterworld

Hi Steve,

I followed your recent advice and received a letter back from Persimmon today.

The plumbers that they subcontracted seem to be claiming fault with the grab ring fitted the wrong way around was a fault of the manufacturer, whilst the manufacturer says vice-versa.

They have offered me a further 2 years warranty period on "plumbing issues, excepting servicing of boilers and accidental damage by the homeowner."

They make no mention to the other points in my letter of complaint. I have therefore forwarded the correspondence received to NHBC.

In addition I have sent both them and NHBC a new letter asking for immediate clarification, as to whether they will be answering the remainder of the points in my original complaint.

I have a folder set up and am logging everything, in addition I am ensuring I get everything in writing.

Any further advice, or should I just wait and see what the NHBC and/or Persimmon have to say on the matter?

SteveF

Hi WW

Did you send the letters toNHBC with the Claim ref number attached?If soby the standards set out in their customer charter a response should be with you in 10 working days. I would wait a little while before chasing but if nothing arrives within a reasonable time frame escalate to the next level in NHBC.

SteveF

NewHomeExpert

There have been many problems with leaks now plastic plumbing is common place. whether the fitting was manufactured correctly or not, the house builder is liable under the NHBC warranty.

As Steve F says ensure everything is in writing and copied to the NHBC.
You need an extended warranty for the plumbing to cover you against any new leaks yet to become evident.

It may also be useful to know that the 'O' rings in the fittings have a limited useful life and can be broken down by Flux in the system from any soldered copper joints elsewhere.

Other problems arise when inserts are not fitted inside the pipe before jointing and if the pipes are not fully pushed home.