passivhaus

Discussion in 'Other developers' started by robwindowcleaner, Mar 24, 2014.

1. robwindowcleaner

robwindowcleaner New Member

hi I believe I have been missold my house it was advertised as a certified passivhaus but after living here for just a year have found out it failed the passivhaus test and is just a well insulated property should I seek compensation ?

2. NewHomeExpert

NewHomeExpert Well-Known Member

If your new home was advertised as being built to Passivhaus Standards then it should have met these and testing would be able to prove or disprove the claims.
    Passivhaus:The world's leading fabric first approach to low energy buildings I would also have thought that some form of official inspection and certification wouod also be required.
    If as you suspect the builder has claimed to have built to Passivhaus standards without their authority, certification and membership, then I would suspect they would appreciate you bringing this to Passivhaus attention.

As you say, you have a well-insulated new home, so I suspect you are really after some form of compensation from the builder/seller.
    Whether compensation is deserved or justified is another matter! caveat emptor!
    But I suspect your builder would rather give you £3,000 to keep you quiet, than face probable prosecution by Passivhaus!

3. robwindowcleaner

robwindowcleaner New Member

hi thankyou for your response the solicitor tells me in my contract its says that any advertising brochures cannot be relies upon .also the render on outside of my property is cracking in places is this normal and is there a legal thickness the render should be

4. NewHomeExpert

NewHomeExpert Well-Known Member

Render cracking is most definitely not "normal".
    The minimum thickness will depend on the particular product used.
    Most require a reinforcing mesh across corners at windows and door openings and proper movement joints at every 6 metres too.

So your solicitor thought it was perfectly OK for you to sign a contract that clearly stated that "any advertising brochures could not be relied on"?
    How on earth did you know exactly what you were buying?
    I would look to take action against your solicitor. At the very least report him to the SRA or Law Society.