Noisy waste stack makes house unliveable

New Build Inspections

[Glen]

Hi all

I have a big gripe with my new home.

There is a tapping sound from inside the wall in one corner of the house, and this emerges when waste water flows. At first it was only hot water from the sink that caused the walls to tap loudly.

I complained to the builder, and they told me its the waste stack expanding and quite normal. But its not limited to hot water from a sink. It also happens when its raining outside.

At night, the loud tapping can keep me awake all night like a Chinese Torture, making the house unliveable. I can see myself sleeping in the car at some point to avoid the noisy house.

Do I have any options?

Last edited:

NewHomeExpert

First of all it does sound like it is the pipe expanding and contracting.
But the noise is because it is not isolated from the structure such as floor boarding, joists, partition walls and even other pipes.
Add in the fact that it is a near certainty that there isn't any sound insulation in the SVP boxing too, which is an NHBC standard.
You should complain again and if nothing is done make a claim under your warranty.
And name the housebuilder that doesn't care enough to fix their badly built new homes!

[Glen]

Redrow are now sending someone to check this so I have reason to hope the noisy SVP will be resolved.

What exactly is the spec for soundproofing, and how is it verified?

For example, if the pipe is touching a dense soundproofing material then I would expect it sound very loud. Does the spec include a minimum air gap or something else to absorb movement?

Last edited:

[Glen]

First of all it does sound like it is the pipe expanding and contracting.
But the noise is because it is not isolated from the structure such as floor boarding, joists, partition walls and even other pipes.
Add in the fact that it is a near certainty that there isn't any sound insulation in the SVP boxing too, which is an NHBC standard.
You should complain again and if nothing is done make a claim under your warranty.
And name the housebuilder that doesn't care enough to fix their badly built new homes!

This remains ongoing, and sound insulation is now a bigger concern.

How can I verify if there is any sound insulation between the houses?

The empty cavity between houses can be inspected from inside the loft. Should the walls be made of something clearly identifiable as insulated?

Thanks.

The only way without destructive testing is via a thermal camera ...odd areas can be checked with a horoscope ...but you dont get big picture

I can send you some sample thermal camera reports so you can see what you get for your money

Martyn
New build inspections