Noise of running water from flats above

Ania

Hello,
15 months ago I bought and I moved into, what I thought at the time, dream come true, new build flat. As much I try to stay positive, the sound of waterfalls and banging, crushing noises from the pipes make me a bit sleepless sometimes. I live on the first floor of 5. Kitchen area-living room, share the wall with the bathroom. Every time my neighbours from upper floors flush the water or take the shower I can hear very vivid and loud sound of water running through my walls (in the pipe), when flushing the water, sound is accompanied with cracking, banging noises followed by the sound of water. This is so disturbing that it wakes me up, despite all the doors to the kitchen and my bedroom being closed. While eating my dinner I can hear my neighbours flushing their toilet and if they take a shower i sometimes have to put the tv volume up. What's more, in my bedroom, in one spot I can also hear the noise of water running, by neighbours who' flat is not directly above mine. (lot's of investigation, luck of occurrence of finding out. It took me a while to figure it out this one, but eventually I did after several tests)
I was reporting this repeatedly to the builders for over a year now but they keep saying its all concrete and there is nothing they can do.
I discovered the wall in the bathroom (this one divides kitchen and the bathroom) where the main pipes are located, is not insulated, and neither is the pipe, so they filled the space with the orange sponge (not sure what's the name for it). Please see photos attached. But, it did not fix nor changed anything. They claim there is nothing they can do and I need to get used to as there is nothing they can do and this is normal to hear these sounds. Taken these are very loud and vivid noises my common sense and experience of living in the building of flats, does not agree with the term normal in this case. I am on the edge or contacting Watch Dog and writing to my local MP with complain on the builders. Neighbours from my floor also complain on these noises. 2 other, from the 2nd floor said they are no longer bothered and got used to it. I was the only one who submitted the recordings hence I even had visit of sound inspector who just listened to the noise while the neighbours upstairs flushed the toilet.
Has any of you experienced anything similar? What else can be done? What could be causing these loud noises (apart from the obvious luck of insulation).
I was thinking to write to NHBC but not sure if this will bring any result.
Any advice will be much appreciated.

unnamed.jpg

On the top of that, I also hear my neighbour next door ventialtion system. Whenever she puts the light on in her bathroom, I can hear it my bedroom and corridor. Then I get the noises of running water and bangs which make the stereo of weirdness!
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

nfortuin

Hello,
15 months ago I bought and I moved into, what I thought at the time, dream come true, new build flat. As much I try to stay positive, the sound of waterfalls and banging, crushing noises from the pipes make me a bit sleepless sometimes. I live on the first floor of 5. Kitchen area-living room, share the wall with the bathroom. Every time my neighbours from upper floors flush the water or take the shower I can hear very vivid and loud sound of water running through my walls (in the pipe), when flushing the water, sound is accompanied with cracking, banging noises followed by the sound of water. This is so disturbing that it wakes me up, despite all the doors to the kitchen and my bedroom being closed. While eating my dinner I can hear my neighbours flushing their toilet and if they take a shower i sometimes have to put the tv volume up. What's more, in my bedroom, in one spot I can also hear the noise of water running, by neighbours who' flat is not directly above mine. (lot's of investigation, luck of occurrence of finding out. It took me a while to figure it out this one, but eventually I did after several tests)
I was reporting this repeatedly to the builders for over a year now but they keep saying its all concrete and there is nothing they can do.
I discovered the wall in the bathroom (this one divides kitchen and the bathroom) where the main pipes are located, is not insulated, and neither is the pipe, so they filled the space with the orange sponge (not sure what's the name for it). Please see photos attached. But, it did not fix nor changed anything. They claim there is nothing they can do and I need to get used to as there is nothing they can do and this is normal to hear these sounds. Taken these are very loud and vivid noises my common sense and experience of living in the building of flats, does not agree with the term normal in this case. I am on the edge or contacting Watch Dog and writing to my local MP with complain on the builders. Neighbours from my floor also complain on these noises. 2 other, from the 2nd floor said they are no longer bothered and got used to it. I was the only one who submitted the recordings hence I even had visit of sound inspector who just listened to the noise while the neighbours upstairs flushed the toilet.
Has any of you experienced anything similar? What else can be done? What could be causing these loud noises (apart from the obvious luck of insulation).
I was thinking to write to NHBC but not sure if this will bring any result.
Any advice will be much appreciated.

View attachment 324

On the top of that, I also hear my neighbour next door ventialtion system. Whenever she puts the light on in her bathroom, I can hear it my bedroom and corridor. Then I get the noises of running water and bangs which make the stereo of weirdness!
View attachment 324
Dear Ania, did you ever find an answer to this question? Solution?