Noise From Within Internal/External Walls

Discussion in 'Snagging - requests for help' started by thirdsystem, Dec 14, 2011.

1. thirdsystem

thirdsystem New Member

Hi there. I wonder if anyone has had similar experience regarding the following, and I hope I am posting this in the correct forum and it is appropriate

Last year we purchased a Betts/Gladedale Dunkeld house which is approx 5 years old. I have had to put right many minor problems and/or get tradesmen to do so. From squeaking floor boards, leaking shower, poorly fitted windows/ patio doors etc etc etc. I would say however we do like the house.

After the strong winds this week I noticed a knocking coming from within the internal wall. It has got progressively worse and is now happening when there is just a light breeze.

After much listening and searching inside and out I reckon it is coming from within the chimney breast for the gas fire flue, or the wall area adjacent. The noise actually sounds like a bouncing ball with ever decreasing time interval between the thud. I have checked the gutters, eaves , attic etc and nothing apparent / no movement. The chimney pot thing looks solid and in order from ground level.

It is a horrendous noise and is worst in my sons bedroom which makes it even worse.

I am thinking wall ties ? loose internal boarding ? loosened debris ? probably caused by useless builders initially.

Can anyone offer some advice before I rip out my sons wall in sheer frustration ;)

Any feedback welcomed gratefully.

Cheers

PS After contacting Betts/Gladedale customer services ( HAH !!!! :mad: ) a couple of times previously. I cant wait to do so again. Worse than useless.

2. NewHomeExpert

NewHomeExpert Well-Known Member

It is probably a bit of rubbish like dpc or a piece of wood even.
    It may be caused by the roofing felt overhang vibrating in the guttering too.

There have not been many NHBC Quality Awards won by Gladedale over recent years!

3. thirdsystem

thirdsystem New Member

Thanks for your response. It is quite a loud knock on wood sound from something solid. I am reckoning a bit of loose wood somewhere within.

Due to the Timber Frame construction it is very difficult to pinpoint the exact source of the knocking noise, as it transmits through all the wood within. After much wall listening and attic clambering :eek: I have tied it down to an area in the roof space/ gable side, either within the chimney flue area or to the side. It may also be from within the eaves / soffit area.

The problem is only apparent when the wind is from the west which has been frequent this month ! This also makes it difficult for ladder climbing !!!

I emailed Betts And Gladedale customer service on 13th December for some advice/help..................ZERO response. I emailed both again on the 20 th ........... Zero response. Cheers for that :mad:

There will be a major fall out loomimg with the ignorant muppets in the new year.

I have been in touch with my insurers for their info at the moment and will progress this in the new year.

As I said before, we do really love this house, it is a pity however that the builders are so unhelpful and ignorant.

4. NewHomeExpert

With timber frame it could be anything.
    Perhaps the timber gable panels are moving in the wind?
    Or the west facing wall is moving slightky causing the frame to bang against a lintel or restraint strap.
    Or it could be loose breather paper although this seems unlikely from your description.

I am not a big fan of timber frame if you go to my website you will see why!

5. sparky

sparky New Member

Hi,

I stumbled across this forum whilst searching for a solution to a similar problem and found another post which I intend to investigate myself.

Unfortunately, the forum wont allow me to post a link until I've got 10 posts, but you will find it here:

Snagging.org Forum > General > Snagging - requests for help - Creaking Noise coming from gable wall.

My house is a Bett build too...

I don't fancy cutting the wall tie until I have a proper solution (repair or placement) but I am wondering how to get access to it.

Cheers,

sparky

6. thirdsystem

thirdsystem New Member

Hi again. I will check out your website.....cheers. This is actually the third timber frame house we have had and never had any problems ( apart from this ) In fact compared to our last stone built Georgian house we are using less than half the gas to heat it :) and it is probably slightly bigger.

I strongly suspect/hope that this is a fairly minor thing and some wood or possibly even something within the roofline/soffets is causing the problem. It is however going to be a bit tricky to fix. I have noticed it is only happening in mild winds and when the wind is only directly from the west. During the frequent horrendous winds recently ( what is happening to this planet ??) the house has performed admirably ;)

I have been in touch with Betts/Gladedale and surprisingly they are having nothing to do with it and have been of no assistance. There is the NHBC guarantee ( HAH ! ) and I also have been in touch with my own building insurers. Hopefully I will not need any of them though.

I am on the case again after the festivities and will get this sorted out. When it is resolved I will post back here in case it is of assistance to anyone else.

Cheers.

7. thirdsystem

thirdsystem New Member

Hi Sparky, thanks for your reply. I think I might have read that thread when I was searching on here initially but I was convinced at that time it was loose wood knocking within..............Now I am not so sure, It may be a wall tie issue.

I will make further enquiries regarding this issue this week and hopefully make some progress.

Good luck with your situation.

Cheers
    Thirdsystem

8. NewHomeExpert

The NHBC Buildmark is a warranty not a guarantee. There is a difference.
    I am also not sure if you would get anywher with your insurers unless you can prove weather damage.

9. thirdsystem

thirdsystem New Member

A final update on this problem I had, in case anyone else has similar issues.

After much investigation I have resolved this knocking problem. The insurance surveyor from my house insurers was hopeless in assisting and I actually asked a local chimney sweep to come and help out.

He checked within the chimney breast, which was not a metal flue as I had suspected, but a clay lined set up. All was in order.

It transpires the cause of this horrendously irritating racket was down to a loose roof edging tile and roof tile immediately adjacent to the chimney breast. There was no movement visible from ground level whatsoever. Both secured and all is peaceful and harmonious :):):)

I would never have believed that something so relatively minor and easy to fix could cause me so much grief over 3 months.

10. NewHomeExpert

All is well that ends well!

Sometimes finding the problem takes longer than fixing the problem as in your case.

In the meantime, many new homes owners get frustrated as it appears the process is being dragged out and that their house builder is "rubbish".

Enjoy your peace.

From what you have described it is doubtful this could have been checked or even prevented.

11. thirdsystem

thirdsystem New Member

Indeed, and thanks for your replies. I am sure your help and advice on here is appreciated by many.

This issue was indeed nothing whatsoever to do with Betts/Gladedale as it transpires, merely down to unavoidable storm damage. And it has to be said in view of the horrendous storms we had in December/ January I am pleased with the way our house coped with same.

It is to be said however any contact I have had with their "customer services" has been pathetic and I suspect this is a common scenario with many builders.

Good luck to everyone else who has posted on here with their problems. It certainly is great when you get things resolved.

Cheers
    Thirdsystem

12. NewHomeExpert

Thank you for your kind words.
    It makes all the hours I spend on here advising new home owners worthwhile when it is appreciated.

Your particular issue may not have been a building defect but as you rightly say, the house builder Gladedale (aka Bett) did not respond at all well.

Indeed, anyone considering buying from Gladedale/Bett should now be aware what to expect (and not expect) if (or when) they have a problem with their Gladedale new home.

The larger house builders all have "customer care" departments, so it is a mystery that they appear to offer very little help to their customers, often at a time when help is badly required.