No time given to snag

Discussion in 'Bryant Homes' started by Leon, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Leon

Leon New Member

Hello,

We are in the process of buying a new home from Bryant and have been told that once complete, a few days before we move in we will be walked around the house to show us how things work, central heating etc.

We have been told that this will not be a snagging visit and that we can only do this once we have moved in.

Is this correct? Does this not affect my statutory rights as a consumer?

What happens if I notice something and I am not prepaired to move in until its correct?

Regards Leon

2. Tony

Tony Administrator

Hi Leon,

You have few rights when buying new homes - sign the petition! The propoerty is the developers till you complete and they can deny access. However, you do have a legal interest in the property and your solicitor should be able to organise a snagging visit, or you can enlist the help of a snagging company. It is hardly unreasonable to be allowed to do this - what have they got to hide?

Tony

3. Warwick

Warwick New Member

I understood the mortgage company would only release funds when a satisfatory snag had been completed perhaps you could ask your mortgage comapny about this

4. willyj

willyj New Member

There is a massive variation in the standards of Customer Care even within the regional offices of Bryant Homes. My experience is that they aspire towards high quality but don't always succeed.
    A customer care manager should have carried out a comprehensive snag list which he will want completed before he accepts the house from the building department. You will then be given 28 days from moving in to list your own concerns to the customer care manager which should be dealt with promptly.
    If you have found a well run development you should be able to speak to site management who will be keen to make your house buying experience a pleasant one. Can you find out the name of the Customer Care manager with whom you will be dealing?
    If you feel you are being fobbed off, or you are being made to feel that you are making a nuisance of yourself by sales, that is the time to become wary.
    How you are dealt with in the early stages of the purchasing process should give you a good idea how things are going to progress from there on.
    I hope you have found one of their better run developments;)

5. willyj

willyj New Member

Warwick wrote:
    The mortgage company will release funds when the Warranty Provider issues a Cover Note confirming that the house is 'substantially complete'. Snags are not included in that phrase.

6. Tony

Tony Administrator

This is the CML (Council of Mortgage Lender's) certificate. Site staff may refer to a unit as being CML'ed - sounds like smelled :huh:

7. Duncaji

Duncaji New Member

I too am shortly going to be moving into a Bryant home. The sale staff were quite snappy and when I was asking for incentives, they were as you would expect being sales less than pleasant 'why should we offer you an incentive'. However I stuck to my guns and managed to secure a deal of plan and got £8k off the price....I've heard of people getting as much as £20k off the price....but I find that difficult to believe, and if so, then the builder must be asking way to high a price if they are willing to reduce that much. That said Bryant have put the next release prices up from last year by £20k......dunno about anyone else, but my Salary has not gone up by even a quarter of that !!

Anyway, I have snagging even before I've seen the inside...the stone that sits above one of the bedrooms to the front of the house has several chips out of it....so they had better get that fixed or it'll be on the top few items of my list.