nhbc grp lintels and sills

New Build Inspections

SteveF

Hi Leon

What level of claims handler are you dealing with at the NHBC? Who did you write to and have you received an acknowledgement of receipt?

Do you want to mail me the letter that you sent to them to see if i can offer advice on a follow up.

SteveF

jarvis

Hi Leon

What level of claims handler are you dealing with at the NHBC? Who did you write to and have you received an acknowledgement of receipt?

Do you want to mail me the letter that you sent to them to see if i can offer advice on a follow up.

SteveF

Hi Steve
Sent letter to the investigator and to the claims manager but as yet no reply next step was the general manager. Thank you will email letter to you.

Leon

jarvis

Hi Leon

Email with attachments sent. Let me know when you receive them.

SteveF

Hi Steve
Have received attachments thank you very much for those, have spoken to LABC but they wont do anything as all inspections etc were done by nhbc haven't pushed the issue with them. Do you know if they could force me as the homeowner to change the lintels and cills as planning enforcement can. If not do you know who the best person to send the letter would be at Herefordshire building control, also do you know the name of the person at nhbc.
Leon

SteveF

Hi Leon

The two letters are to go to the NHBC. One to P.... J..... the Claims Manager and the other to the Head of the Building Control department at the NHBC. You will need to call NHBC and as for building control and once through find out who the boss is.

I will try to get the claims email for you in the morning. Do you have a claims reference number?

SteveF

jarvis

Hi Leon

The two letters are to go to the NHBC. One to P.... J..... the Claims Manager and the other to the Head of the Building Control department at the NHBC. You will need to call NHBC and as for building control and once through find out who the boss is.

I will try to get the claims email for you in the morning. Do you have a claims reference number?

SteveF
Hi Steve

thanks or that yes i do have a claims reference number.
Leon

SteveF

Hi Leon

PM sent with all the details needed for contact.

In your email to the claims manager you could mention the fact that their charter says they aim to respond to all written communications within 10 working days and that when an investigator has visited they aim to confirm if a claim is valid and if so how it will be processed, within 4 working days.
I am presuming that neither of these charter commitments have been met?

Let me know if you need anything else.

SteveF

jarvis

Hi Leon

PM sent with all the details needed for contact.

In your email to the claims manager you could mention the fact that their charter says they aim to respond to all written communications within 10 working days and that when an investigator has visited they aim to confirm if a claim is valid and if so how it will be processed, within 4 working days.
I am presuming that neither of these charter commitments have been met?

Let me know if you need anything else.

SteveF

Hi Steve
Letter received from nhbc claims area manager mr m heritage in response to my email on the 22/06/11 i will email you the letter.
Regards
Leon

SteveF

Hi Leon

Got the letter as you are aware...disappointing response even if not totally surprising. I have mailed you regarding how i think this should be addressed which in my opinion has to be through the engagement of someone qualified to challenge what they are saying. Let me know your view.

SteveF

jarvis

Hi Leon

Got the letter as you are aware...disappointing response even if not totally surprising. I have mailed you regarding how i think this should be addressed which in my opinion has to be through the engagement of someone qualified to challenge what they are saying. Let me know your view.

SteveF

Update on progress so far local councillor and MP have taken up the case and are starting to rattle some cages, the head of building regulations at the local authority has agreed to look at the case and if he feels that the issue is structural (which we think it is) then the local authority will take control of the issue, they have also made it clear that there are another 800 houses to be built in the next few years and don't want these types of issues again. Awaiting response from MP's letter to CEO of NHBC will keep you updated.

SteveF

Update on progress so far local councillor and MP have taken up the case and are starting to rattle some cages, the head of building regulations at the local authority has agreed to look at the case and if he feels that the issue is structural (which we think it is) then the local authority will take control of the issue, they have also made it clear that there are another 800 houses to be built in the next few years and don't want these types of issues again. Awaiting response from MP's letter to CEO of NHBC will keep you updated.

Any news Leon??

jarvis

Any news Leon??

Hi Steve

No response yet what with the holidays and the wheels of the local authority not moving that quickly hopefully the council will agree that it is structural and take up the case fingers crossed. did you have a good xmas

jarvis

Have set up an epetition to try and get better protection for home buyers need at least 100,000 signitures to force a debate in parliament got to be worth a try closes 24/01/2013
better protection when buying a home

Responsible department: Department for Communities and Local Government

Give back power to local authority with regards to building control etc, stop NHBC etc getting away with doing nothing to help homeowners when things go wrong, they were set up to support the homeowner against shoddy workmanship but are now an insurance company that only have the interest of the builder leaving the homeowner with nothing but a guarantee that isn't worth the paper it is written on. Apprently there is an agreement between the local authority and nhbc etc that when nhbc etc are responsible for building control etc they don't step on each each others toes, surely if there is a problem the local authority should be able to assist the homeowner.
better protection when buying a home - e-petitions

Last edited:

ChrisSullivan

Hi does anyone have any information on exallot grp lintels and sills,i have an issue with them coming away from the property. according to the builder and nhbc they are not load bearing which they are and have shown them a photo to prove the point. the nhbc rep then said your house is south facing and should expect the plastic to expand and contract surely they are not fit for purpose if they expand and contract and move when they are supporting the outer skin of the house. a neighbour has had his replaced with stone as in the show house but was told that was done within the first 2 years. they are coming back soon to do investigation work and looking to reinsert them with adhesive, which i am not happy about. i have a copy of a letter sent to my neighbour form the nhbc that they do not appear to meet their standards where do i go from here.:mad:

There are such things as load bearing lintels but they are BBA approved and not the decorative ones described here. Look for Litel lintels from Material Edge or Hi Therm lintels from Keystone. These are non thermally bridging load bearing lintels designed to stop heat escaping through the cavity wall yet performing as well as steel lintels in supporting the brick and block walls.

NewHomeExpert

This sounds like the lintels may be arch formers. They support the brickwork as the arch is being built and afterwards the brick arch itself is the support for the wall over the opening.