NHBC Forum

New Build Inspections

Tony

Administrator
I beleive it si standard proctice for the NHBC to stop the resolution servie if legal action is initiated. It is an expensive and time consuming route.

Tony

togo.bevan

If neither the builder nor the NHBC will do anything the only option left is legal recource.

This should not intitle them to breach their contract.

Colin Jack

This is the whole point. The NHBC system is purely designed to force you to accept sub-standard workmanship or go down the very long and costly process of legal action.

If you take legal action the NHBC walk away with 10% of your house purchase value or whatever premium you have paid (yes it is the purchaser who pays for the NHBC premiums, not the builder as many think) no matter what, for doing Sweet FA. Just think what you could do with that 10%. It is all a BIG CON. I sat and watched Imtiaz Farookhi on Watchdog (BBC 1 Scotland) last night openly lie about the NHBC Buildmark. His parting words were 'work will be done to the customer's satisfaction' UTTER LIES. Work will be done to the NHBC guidelines which are guidance only so it doesn't really matter (so John Croal - Bett Homes / Gladedale customer care manager tells me). But what would you expect from an insurance salesman living in an ivory tower on another planet.

It is no wonder that other insurance companies are jumping on the bandwagon - they have seen just how easy this new-build insurance racquet is.

CONTRACTS - These are only for use by them to grind you down. They don't really give a shit if they are in breach of contract. They are certainly not for you to use against them OHHH NO. It is just another facet of the new build / NHBC scam. Just listen to Imtiaz Farookhi - it is all lies.

If you think the NHBC are slow, imagine about a thousand times slower and you will be in the time frame of the legal system. But this is what it is all designed to do.

Five years on and I still don't have the Completion Certificate my contract with Bett Homes / Gladedale entitles me to. That might have something to do with the local auhority refusing to issue it because of sub-standard workmanship though.

It is all a scam!!!!!!

www.abadbett.com

Colin Jack

Phew, thank god for that.

I stand corrected and am happy to admit it.

I still believe these insurance schemes are a bit of a scam though. Why else would so many other compaines be jumping on the band wagon? There must be money in it.

Mark D

No Scam

The insurance provided by the warranty providers is no scam you just need to make sure you know what you are getting. The inspections that take place are variable as it is dependant on the knowledge of the inspector and how long he has to carry out the inspection. If the inspector has 10 calls to do in a day and you take the travelling time and office time out of the 8 hours he may have 15 minutes to do the inspection. In that time he has to carry out the inspection, explain if there is something wrong, print out the details and get on to his next job. So if the site manager does not keep him waiting for 5 minutes he may just be able to inspect.

The warranty provides what it says in the booklet. If it is not covered the warranty provider will not pay out even if it is wrong. So what you need to do is make sure you are getting what you think you are getting. Most people do not know all the things in the Zurich/NHBC/Premier standards as well as the Approved Documents to the Building Regulations and the various British Standards. Some people are experts in their own field but do not realise how one of their decisions may impact on other items of the construction.

One thing is for sure the design requirements have got better but the implementation of them is very much less than desirable.

MD

Tony

Administrator
Most people do not know all the things in the Zurich/NHBC/Premier standards as well as the Approved Documents to the Building Regulations and the various British Standards

And they definitely won't be familiar with all the manufacturers installation standards. For example, I know of a case where the wrong screws were used to install fire doors in a three storey home making the fire doors non-compliant and in breach of building regulations as they were effectively no longer certified as meeting the British Standard. The door would probably be fine but it was tested with specific screws...

Colin Jack

Does a 15 minute inspection represent value for money?

Does a 15 minutes inspection fill you with any confidence?

Whenever I am inspecting any engineering works for the first it takes me much more than 15 minutes to familiarise myself with the layout of the works let alone carry out any sort of inspection.

The chances of spotting anything wrong in 15 minutes would be a miracle, unless of course the builder hasn’t had time to cover the defect up, which is very unlikely.

The scam I refer to is much much deeper than the summary provided by Mark D. No insurance company will set up any form of insurance scheme unless there is money to be made and there are a number of routes to get out of paying up. It is horrifying when you experience it first hand.

How many have actually read the legislation that deals with building in the UK????????????

Eric Walmsley

Delay delay

I reported some major problems to NHBC in December 2005. They agreed that the developer should make good. He did not - after umpteen calls and letters NHBC finally completed the work in October 2006. In March 2007 after using home inspectors for the final snagging, who were useless, (they may be ok with mainstream developers but with provincial developers they have no clout) I took over and involved NHBC. Now end July 2008 NHBC are still bending over backwards pandering to the deveoloper Bracken Hill Developments and their delaying tactics, being nice to the claims handler (not to me I must add). Over the past few years I have written to Imtiaz Faouki and his predecessor CEO which has made no difference my next letter is going direct to Norman Fowler at his home address. Can anybody advise me if there is any overseeing body an Ombudsman or something who can help and force NHBC to live up to their stated code of practice.

Mark D

Eric

Before you go to a body external of NHBC you need to follow the NHBC complaints procedure otherwise they will not entertain your complaint.

Home Inspectors are no good for snagging as they do not know the NHBC Standards they are only there for about 20 minutes when a 4 bed home can take about 5 hours to snag.

Looks like you would be out of date now for any new snags but you can use the clause at the base of the NHBC Resolution Report which says that any items identified as a result of carry out the remedial work the builder is obliged to rectify. What you actually need is advice from a claims advisor who can advise you how to progress the work. Of course this will cost some money but it will save a lot of frustration. The process may still not be quick but it will get done. I normally tell people to expect it to take a year from when they first advise the builder of the work that needs doing to when it is complete.

I could advise you of a good claims adviser who used to work for NHBC but I don’t think I am allowed to on this site.

Best of luck

Mark

tabithatabby

MarkD i would very much like to be able to email you to ask a question but as i am a new member it won't let me. i have a major issue with a cowboy developer - small so therefore difficult to get to do anything - and NHBC and am at my wits end.

Jenna

Hi Eric,

Further to Mark D's response, I was wondering how you got on with the NHBC. I have similar issues.

Regards

Jenna

Jenna

Hi Mark D, I have read the feedback you gave to Eric W re referring to the statement at the bottom of the resolution service 'any item identified as a result of carrying out remedial work, the builder is obliged to rectify.' I am currently undergoing investigations for a defect that was raised within the first two year period. The process has been protracted and as the builder had not carried out suitable investigations within reasonable timescales (2yrs 3mths) NHBC are carrying out the investigations. During these investigations into why the floor slab is so far off the level,they have uncovered there is no insulation under the floor slab and the dpm has been breached. We have had conflicting info from NHBC. One person says that as it is during investigation into a claim that was raised in first two years builder has to rectify. Claims handler however, says that as these were uncovered during yrs 3 to 10 period it is not covered. I would appreciate hearing your views. regards Jenna

Last edited:

southbourne-jay

How do I deal with NHBC

I am new to forum and wonder if anbody can help me.

I recently advised my management co. of severe damp in my flat and of ill fitting windows.

We have lived here for three years now and have kept the flat well ventilated but the damp has become more severe and the window frames are bowing.

We were asked to make a claim to NHBC.

I received an e mail today saying that this is not insurable (insurable peril)

I looked into NHBC guide drawing their attention to section three.

Havent heard from them yet.

What should I do next ?

Hi Mark D, I have read the feedback you gave to Eric W re referring to the statement at the bottom of the resolution service 'any item identified as a result of carrying out remedial work, the builder is obliged to rectify.' I am currently undergoing investigations for a defect that was raised within the first two year period. The process has been protracted and as the builder had not carried out suitable investigations within reasonable timescales (2yrs 3mths) NHBC are carrying out the investigations. During these investigations into why the floor slab is so far off the level,they have uncovered there is no insulation under the floor slab and the dpm has been breached. We have had conflicting info from NHBC. One person says that as it is during investigation into a claim that was raised in first two years builder has to rectify. Claims handler however, says that as these were uncovered during yrs 3 to 10 period it is not covered. I would appreciate hearing your views. regards Jenna

I am never surprised by the motives or claims of insurance company representatives.

Please PM me with further details & information, I will try to assist as best as possible.

Neither of these two faults would cause the slab to be off alignment, that could be part of a much greater problem.

But as the problem was raised with the first 3 three years you will be covered.

Again I refer back to "floor slab is so far off the level" this could be major structural. This is covered for 10 years.

Last edited:

coxysrfc

trouble with the NHBC

I have built several houses over the years I have been a builder and have always tried to complete them to an above average standard, trying to produce houses that are better than anything you would find produced by a larger developer.
Nearly two years ago I finished a house which the client bought when we were nearly finished, they were happy and kept saying how nice it was to be friends with the builder!
They have now called in the NHBC for a second time, telling them that thay could not get hold of me, strange, I have been working on the house next door for the last seven months. The last time they called the NHBC in was because again they said they had problems that I would not resolve, again I had not been told.
Anyway the point is that the NHBC have jumped to this "clients" every whim and charged me huge amounts of money for doing nothing, it is not always the builder that gets away with it. If the clients decides that he just wants to cause trouble and cost the builder money, the NHBC is good for that too.

I have built several houses over the years I have been a builder and have always tried to complete them to an above average standard, trying to produce houses that are better than anything you would find produced by a larger developer.
Nearly two years ago I finished a house which the client bought when we were nearly finished, they were happy and kept saying how nice it was to be friends with the builder!
They have now called in the NHBC for a second time, telling them that thay could not get hold of me, strange, I have been working on the house next door for the last seven months. The last time they called the NHBC in was because again they said they had problems that I would not resolve, again I had not been told.
Anyway the point is that the NHBC have jumped to this "clients" every whim and charged me huge amounts of money for doing nothing, it is not always the builder that gets away with it. If the clients decides that he just wants to cause trouble and cost the builder money, the NHBC is good for that too.

NHBC automatically notify the Builder.

The Builder is always given the opportuninty to put the concern right.

Only after builder refusal will NHBC do the work.

Builder liability is only for the first 2 years.

Everything looks good at the start. Paint can hide a multitude of sins.

coxysrfc

Sorry to disagree, but this client has not notified me and gone straight to the NHBC, they have not given me the choice and are charging me for the inspection, then probably for the work, as they did last time.

SteveF

Sorry to disagree, but this client has not notified me and gone straight to the NHBC, they have not given me the choice and are charging me for the inspection, then probably for the work, as they did last time.

Perhaps there is something significant in what you say coxysrfx!!!

"as they did last time."

Maybe the NHBC should take this action with "EVERY" developer/builder that fails to meet his obligations with regards to the warranty. They would most certainly gain a significant improvement in the credibility stakes in my opinion.

SteveF

SteveF

I am never surprised by the motives or claims of insurance company representatives.

Please PM me with further details & information, I will try to assist as best as possible.

Neither of these two faults would cause the slab to be off alignment, that could be part of a much greater problem.

But as the problem was raised with the first 3 three years you will be covered.

Again I refer back to "floor slab is so far off the level" this could be major structural. This is covered for 10 years.

This has been resolved SA....this is a case i have been involved with since July 2007 and which resulted in the NHBC contracting in Dec 2010 to buy back the property. This only after significant pressure was applied - quite some story....

SteveF