New house - green mortar & also efflorescence

Discussion in 'Other developers' started by NightKitty, Mar 31, 2014.

1. NightKitty

NightKitty New Member

I bought my newbuild house a month ago, and soon after completion I noticed green bricks and mortar at ground level. The builder said this was from wet leaves which had blown against the bottom of the building over the winter (they had since been removed) but he sent a man to clean it off.

I now have a lot of efflorescence (chalky white residue) on the walls, not just at the bottom, but the mortar at ground level is starting to look green again. The bricks don't yet seem green.

The house seems very warm and in so many ways much better built than many new homes, but this issue is worrying me. The house came not with certification from NHBC but from BuildAssure, and I understand I have only three months from completion to raise an issue about anything like this.

Can anyone help?

2. NewHomeExpert

NewHomeExpert Well-Known Member

Bricks and mortar joints below dpc level will go green as they are damp for long periods in wet weather.
    jet washing in the spring will clean it off.
    As for efflorescence, it is a sign that the bricks got soaked during construction (hardly surprising given the wet winter.)
    This is a sign that the walls are drying out drawing the salts to the surface.
    It can be washed off and will eventually not re occur, although it may take a few years.
    It cannot really be 100% prevented but a good builder would have covered the walls and brick stacks to stop the getting saturated!

And a good builder would have provided an NHBC Warranty too.
    I don't know anything about BuildAssure but BuildAssure10 does look like you do have some limited cover for the first two years, although probably no where near as good as the NHBC warranty!
    BuildAssure also do BuildAssure2 they describe as an "entry level warranty" this gives just six months rather than the normal two years cover all protection.
    On a personal level I wouldn't have gone anywhere near this too many warning bells!

Whatever the limited cover you have from the Buildassure warranty, even if it was NHBC it wouldn't cover efflorescence or green bricks below dpc.
    Have you looked to see if you have a leaking gutter or rainwater downpipe that may be causing the brickwork to be wetter in a particular place - that should be covered.

3. NightKitty

NightKitty New Member

BuildAssure warranties - green bricks

------------------------------

Thank you for this. I was not aware there was such a difference between NHBC and BuildAssure, but it is unfortunately too late for me to do anything about it now I have bought the house.

I appreciate your other comments though, which were helpful, and I have "liked" you on Facebook!

4. NightKitty

NightKitty New Member

... and sent a small donation too!

5. NewHomeExpert

NewHomeExpert Well-Known Member

Thank you for the "like" and donation, it's much appreciated.