National Hickman Doors

caravanj

Has anyone tried to buy or succeeded in buying a National Hickman door? We want to replace one of ours with one of their half-glazed doors but they won't sell to a homeowner. They did give us the phone number of their distributor but they didn't stock the door we wanted.
We've been trying to source a door since 9am & it's now 5:20 pm, we could have sourced parts for the Hubble telescope easier & quicker.
National Hickman take ridiculous to a whole new level.

caravanj

For anyone who hasn't heard of National Hickman they are used by a lot of the volume builders & they supply joinery in kits which can be installed by semi-skilled site workers. Their doors come in kits with the the door frames & have all the latches & hinges pre-fitted.
The problem is that if you ever need a new door after the 2 year warranty has expired you're stuffed as National Hickman won't sell you one.
They will give you the phone number of their so-called distributor but they hardly stock any of the doors.

caravanj

Despite their claims, National Hickman don't make the doors, they're supplied by Premdor. & they're both part of Masonite.
National Hickman just use a few of the Premdor range & pre-fit the hinges & latches & stick £100 on the price.
Premdor doors can be bought from most builders merchants & we bought the one we needed from Jewsons.

Makebetterhomes

Administrator
good for you , perseverance pays
this was something i was not aware of , and i see thousands of national hickman doors or hinges as we now know , each year
hopefully this post will help others searching on the interweb

caravanj

@Makebetterhomes Thanks for that, I do hope it saves others the stress it cause us.
If people contact National Hickman they'll be given the number for Ax National for residential sales but they only stock a small number of door types whilst Jewson can supply all 620 Premdor types.
The only difference with buying from Premdor via a builders merchant is that the door won't come with the hinge & latch fitted but it's a simple DIY job to swap them from the old door to the new door or a 5 minute job for a joiner.