Linden Homes - Feedback wanted.

I moved my family into a new Linden home in December. I can't believe these people are still in business or still accredited by the NHBC. I've had 47 snags fixed so far over a period of 3 months with about 25 more to go. They range from major to minor with most somewhere in the middle When we moved in the house wasn't finished. Pre-paid extras such as built in wardrobes were missing (turns out they hadn't even been ordered) and there was a shower cubicle missing. unfinished kitchen worktops etc. We had checked the house a week before and knew there was still some 'finishing' work to do but had been assured this would all be fixed in the week before move in. I'd also checked with my movers and knew if we didn't move on the agreed date they wouldn't be able to move us until after Christmas. Plus of course the unsubtle threats that if we didn't move in we would lose all incentives and the house would be put back on the market. They also said we would not be refunded any extras we had already paid for. Were they bluffing? Who knows, but I wasn't prepared to lose the many £000s already paid out in solicitors fees, extras, movers etc and I guess that is what they were banking on.

Since moving in it has been a comedy of errors. A radiator replacement took 4 visits. 1 to measure, 1 to arrive with the wrong radiator, one to re-measure and one to fit the right radiator. Translate this incompetence across many faults and it works out at hundreds of interruptions. I have had to base all of my last 3 months work schedule around workmen visits. I've stretched goodwill at my current contract to the limit and am sure I won't get any more work with them. Quite often, the fix has left a problem in a worse state than it started. Internal door repairs left doors that still didn't shut but now with added damage to the door frames. Replacing the garage doors left damaged brickwork. The external and interior are of shocking quality and do not match that advertised through the show home. 3 ceilings have been reworked so far, doors are too short, a leaking pipe behind a wall was fixed quickly, but then I was left with a 30cm by 30cm hole in the wall for 2 months. Often workmen do not turn up when advertised. At no time has Linden customer services tried to be pro-active and work with me to solve the problems. 6 weeks ago I had a meeting with customer services and the contracts manager at which I was promised a comprehensive repair schedule and all snags fixed within 2 weeks. I never got the schedule and snags are still not fixed. I am completely in the dark as to when the remaining snags will be fixed and new ones turn up daily. All but one of the double glazing units have had to be re-sealed - the worst one had a 3 mm gap all along the top. At night there was a 5ft line of light shining through it. Because the windows are so badly fitted there is no soundproofing at all. You can have a conversation with a person outside the window just by talking normally. The list of faults goes on and on with something new turning up every day. I filed a formal complaint 6 days ago to customer services under their published complaint system. They immediately passed it on to the construction dept and they seem to have passed it on to the contracts manager. I'm looking forward to the response.

I'm currently researching snagging professionals. Because I've never worked in the building industry part of the problem is I don't know how some things should be. Many snags have been pointed out by sub-contractors fixing other things and noticing something isn't as it should be. It looks like a professional snagger for a 4 bedroom house costs around £500. Given all the wasted time and effort so far it adds insult to injury that I have to spend my money sorting out Linden's mess. I'm prepared to take legal action to recover these costs if necessary as, fortunately, I do understand how the small claims court system works. Next steps are to write to Which, Watchdog and my MP and I have contacts on local newspapers so I'm confident I can get at least a letter published and maybe an article. I'm going to wait for Linden's response before starting with the NHBC, but from what I read they don't seem to do much.

All advice gratefully accepted.

Poornewhomes

Sorry to hear your experience. Linden like all the developers can get away with shocking bad quality because there is no New build Ombudsman.

Google search How to complain brand new homes. If you persist you will get something but it's relentless. Always go the Managing Director first. Send photos.

FTB1001

Hi All,
I am super scared - have already reserved on a house with Linden (paid reservation fee and about to instruct solicitor (one of theirs))in a new development in North London and have my post reservation apt coming up today - only just found this site and seen all the reviews! I do really like the development and having spoken to a few neighbours they seem to be ok but wondering if there is anything I can do at this stage to mitigate risks of the kinds of issues I am reading on this thread / forum. The house is ridiculously expensive but I thought it's worth it as ive been looking for ages now and to have a new home in a nice development with no hassles and good energy efficiency etc seems attractive. Really not keen on moving in and then having to fight with the developer (letters to MPs, small claims courts etc). Any advice would help please?
Thanks!
First time buyer

rickym

Unfortunately i cannot offer advise :(

We are in the same boat - i thought it was me not following up enough. I have the same problem with the windows, very very noisy. they too sent the contracts manager around who if anything was rude and ignored anything i was saying. All he kept on saying was i "cannot say", "i cannot say" and my favourite "i can't say anything to legally implicate myself". I had to eventually tell him to leave as he was wasting everyones time. Just for context, he walked out the door without saying anything and just kept walking away with no salutations. The other conversation we had was, i asked him if Linden homes had to build next to the airport, would you still use the thinnest windows? he with a straight face said "Yes".

You are still new in your home, so speaking from my experience (which i am still chasing over 2 years on) to resolve my snag list. I have sent an email stating i may have to take legal action to resolve as the customer service agent has stated that they legally have to resolve the snag issues... Great! lets get to it!. Oh wait, there are no issues on my list for your plot number, i cannot help you - countless emails with details of the snags, he can see they have been sent from the day i moved it, and he will not even be willing to open them up on the system. So this leads me to believe Linden will pick and choose what snags they want to resolve (which ever is easier for them).

NHBC are just as useless to be honest. They are only a good stamp of approval to help you out with not losing your money if Linden go bang. Issues at home, they are just useless. They just kept on sending me links to their website and say if must have been tested - i have asked for these certificates, and nothing, Linden Homes, NHBC, honestly i just got tired of chasing in the end, we all have busy lives - and sadly i think Linden know that, eventually we have to give up or live with it.

feel free to ask me any questions - perhaps i have already tried and tested it and let you know what avenues i took to resolve (where i could)

I am willing to go as far as helping in advertising costs / articles to get the word out or ammunition for you if like.

NewHomeExpert

Perhaps the introduction of a New Homes Ombudsman will help buyers like you Paul.#
Write to your MP and demand it is set up as soon as possible!

Keysie

spent ages writing about my dreadful experience of these cowboys (I have now escaped) but it would not post.

newbuyer

Hello, I was seriously thinking about reserving a property on Camomile Lawn Totnes but just did an internet search and came across this forum. Most comments about Linden are very negative but there are isolated good ones. Please if there is anyone who has experience of this development can you let me know, thank you

Last edited:

Tony

Administrator
Welcome to the forum. What stage is the site at? If people have already moved in and living there go and meet some of your potential new neighbours.

Linden homes used to such a fantastic reputation as developers years ago ....now they are just part of the cog in a bigger machine

I have inspected properties at the site I Truro and others such as 3 rivers and would be happy to share my thoughts with you ....pm me if call our office

Martyn
New build inspections
Professional snagging inspections

Selbyjay

Further to my post last year (snagging dot org linden 2444-happy-our-lindens-home) shortly after we moved in to our new Linden Home, I thought it would be good to give a further update:

We still love it!

We're now 10 months in to our new house and having had a winter, spring and summer in the property, we're still delighted with the purchase. We've had no issues with the quality of build at all, any minor issues have mostly been fixed quickly and to a high standard. Where issues have dragged on, it's been the fault of the contractor rather than Linden themselves (we've seen emails from contractors lying to Linden about them coming to our property for repairs, so we're confident that Linden weren't at fault). These issues were minor too, nothing major has come to light.

We did have some issues when contractors were onsite due to their complete disregard for the safety of the residents whilst they completed the site. Fences werent secured in high winds and very nearly caused damage and injury (i was nearly crushed by a fence that blew on to my driveway). Linden didnt take these matters seriously enough and really let themselves down in terms of taking resident's concerns seriously, but the quality of the build is great.

A colleague's daughter bought a new build (not Linden) at the same time we moved here. On moving day (days before Christmas), she could fit her hand through a gap between the back door to the outside, one of her neighbours had their bath fall through their ceiling in to the kitchen! We've had not even a fraction of that. We've been really happy and continue to love our home.

Tony

Administrator
Thanks for the update on your Linden Home. Not all new build homes are bad and it should like you are one of the lucky ones. It shouldn't be a lottery and there still needs to be better consumer protection when things do go wrong

freddy

We bought a Linden Home in the Wilshire Park development in Welwyn, Herts. We are very pleased with our property and with the development as a whole. I think that the planning permission and related planning agreement contained a number of conditions and obligations that has meant that the developer has been forced to develop the site in a way that enhances the local environment and protects the various trees on the site. The common areas are beautifully landscaped. We will have to see what happens once the developer has left the site and the Management Company takes over.

When our property had received its NHBC certificate we arranged for a professional snagging inspector to visit the property and make a snag list. He identified a number of minor defects but he told us that overall it was a pretty good build. All of the minor defects were resolved pretty quickly.

The only other issue that we had in June after we had been in the property for 5 months was a leak under the sink that damaged the unit and the units surrounding the sink. Lindens have made good most of these although we are still waiting for one of the panels to be changed. The delay appears to be on the supplier side rather than from Linden.

Overall I would give Linden a high 4 out of 5!!

So, one year on, an update.

I am now happy with my home. All the snags have been fixed, bar one which is new and I'm expecting to get fixed shortly.

The design is great and after a lot of struggle and pain the quality is just about there too. Was it worth it? I didn't think so at the time and I still wouldn't recommend this builder without a snagging expert report before occupation and some convincing that the Site Manager was on top of things. That said, we have friends who have bought from other local developers who have been treated much more badly than us. At least Linden get there eventually - friends frequently find they are talking to a blank wall with other (well known) companies.

I think it is just a sad inditement of the home construction industry generally that they are very happy to take your money on their terms knowing that a house buyer has very little in the way of rights or legal protection. In my opinion. their take it or leave it attitude shows that competition is not working well in this industry and more regulation is required.

arunakb

The House that Jack built or was it Jerry - Linden Homes Pocklington

There is photographic evidence of what clearly is structural damage to the brickwork of my Jerry built house. Linden Homes just do not want to know.

The exterior damage to the property has also manifested itself significantly inside the property. This can be seen by cracks in the plaster work in almost every room throughout the property which first appeared very shortly after purchase. This has gradually got worse and was reported to the Linden Homes Site Foreman. However, it was asserted by him that the house was simply “drying out”. A few months after purchase skirting boards throughout the house moved to such an alarming level that several tubes of caulking were necessary to conceal the unsightly mess. Again, this was reported to the Site Foreman but this was met by a refusal to investigate and rectify matters. A recent inspection has revealed that this issue has started up once again. These matters form part of a catalogue of problems which arose very shortly after purchase. The first issue was discovery by my tradesman that Linden Homes contractors drove a nail through a skirting board and into a gas pipe. But for the fact that I was laying oak flooring down this wholly negligent act would not have been discovered until what would have been inevitably a fatality.

There have been numerous other issues from water damage on a number of occasions due to slap happy plumbing workmanship to problems with electrical installation works.

Clear evidence has also recently emerged of door frame movement which compounds my belief that this is not simply a snagging problem but amounts to a serious underlying structural problem.

Very recently it was necessary to instruct a plumber to rectify a leak from under floor pipe work due to negligent installation works which has caused water damage to a ceiling in the property. Linden Homes really must realise this issue is not going to go away. I just wonder how many homes on this new development have similar issues. Time will tell.

arunakb

LInden Homes - the house that Jack built or was it Jerry?

There is photographic evidence of what clearly is structural damage to the brickwork of this Jerry built house. Linden Homes just do not want to know.

The exterior damage to the property has also manifested itself significantly inside the property. This can be seen by cracks in the plaster work in almost every room throughout the property which first appeared very shortly after purchase. This has gradually got worse and was reported to the Linden Homes Site Foreman. However, it was asserted by him that the house was simply “drying out”. A few months after purchase skirting boards throughout the house moved to such an alarming level that several tubes of caulking were necessary to conceal the unsightly mess. Again, this was reported to the Site Foreman but this was met by a refusal to investigate and rectify matters. A recent inspection has revealed that this issue has started up once again. These matters form part of a catalogue of problems which arose very shortly after purchase. The first issue was discovery by my tradesman that Linden Homes contractors drove a nail through a skirting board and into a gas pipe. But for the fact that I was laying oak flooring down this wholly negligent act would not have been discovered until what would have been inevitably a fatality.

There have been numerous other issues from water damage on a number of occasions due to slap happy plumbing workmanship to problems with electrical installation works.

Clear evidence has also recently emerged of door frame movement which compounds my belief that this is not simply a snagging problem but amounts to a serious underlying structural problem.

Very recently it was necessary to instruct a plumber to rectify a leak from under floor pipe work due to negligent installation works which has caused water damage to a ceiling in the property. Linden Homes really must realise this issue is not going to go away. I just wonder how many homes on this new development have similar issues. Time will tell.