Linden Homes customer very poor

Kimboc20

Having recently bought one of the last homes on the new development in Brentwood I cannot express my disappointment and frustration with Linden Homes. As our house was one of the last on the site it was used as a show home, it is supposed to be gold spec but none of the snagging had been completed before we moved in. 3 weeks after we moved in we got burgled by someone with a key! I was in the house alone with my young daughter at the time which was very scary!! Their so called key policy is non existent and they refused to pay for lock changes after the incident even though someone still has keys to our new home obtained whilst it was a show home. On top of this we were not given a full hand over pack so we have an alarm with no manual which doesn't work properly! All outside security lights are still not working, which would have acted as a deterrent and the response from Linden was it's not their responsibility following completion! So the whole experience has been disgusting as we paid a fortune for the house and we are still waiting for a long list of snagging issues to be resolved, which we are now doing ourselves due to our personal security risk! Their customer care is appalling !

NewHomeExpert

One of the many disadvantages of buying the showhome or one of the last homes on a development.

Linden should be paying for replacement locks at the very least.
This should be a warning to all new home buyers that you cannot rely on the builder having given you all the keys or that no one has made a copy. It is always best to change the locks otherwise there may be issues with your home insurance cover if you have a 'non-break-in' burglary.

As you are discovering house builders so-called aftercare is virtually non-existent.
No wonder Linden are one of just three large house builders to not achieve a 5 star rating for service.
Make sure you give them bad marks when you get sent the Customer Satisfaction Survey in a few weeks!

Haywards Heath

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, it puts mine in the pale, but I can thoroughly agree, Linden Homes customer care is appalling at best, and frequently non-existent. They rarely answer the telephone, they never get back to you when you do finally get hold of them, and it takes forever for anything to be resolved.

I bought a new Linden home two years ago. My snagging list is still not resolved, despite there being quite major problems with the roof of my property.

I wouldn't ever reccommend Linden Homes.

NewHomeExpert

This explains why LINDEN Homes are rated just 4 stars by their customers in the 2013 HBF Customer Satisfaction Survey.
Persimmon and Crest are the only others not given 5 stars!

Any snags notified (in writing) but no resolved within the two-year warranty period are still required to be rectified by the builder under the NHBC warranty, even after two years. Write to the NHBC and make a claim. They will get Linden to attend or instruct another builder to fix the outstanding issues.

Most house builders believe if they do nothing for long enough, most new home buyers will give up trying.
And unfortunately most buyers do give up, which makes "doing nothing" work for builders!

comet

I bought a Linden home and have major problems... - holes in the floors (so i can hear everything from the property below and cooking smell/bathroom smell come through), leaking from windows (rain and wind come through between the glass panel and beams), holes on the wall, leak in pipes... and so on. Like many others, for me, buying a flat was one of biggest decisions and a big investment in my life. But it turns out to be I bought a toy box from them, looking pretty outside, all crappy works underneath. I think they misinterpret "Customer services". I dont see any customer services in Linden. They cannot rectify problems they create and still build and sell properties. The builders like Linden should be banned from UK construction industry.

Last edited:

NewHomeExpert

Unfortunately no one (apart from me) is prepared to do anything!
The government had the opportunity by making the 'Help to Buy' subsidy conditional on quality and reducing complaints but they didn't. Instead they are making it even easier for house builders to build even quicker by reducing planning conditions and controls and lowering standards.

Write to C4 Dispatches and BBC Watchdog would be my advice.

Midwife41

Hi I have had a poor experience with this company Linden Homes. We bought a house first people to move in. Our neighbours moved in 6 months later. We paid extra for our house and the parking as I am disabled. Turns out they sold part of our driveway to neighbours as garden . So we now have a major boundary dispute. We have tried to negotiate with the neighbours but to no avail sadly! We are having to take legal action. Linden homes are not interested in our plight! We sometimes get a reply from their customer services but other times not! I have today emailed their managing director, for the second time still no response! We cannot sell, have paid over the odds for this house because of the parking. We would never have bought the property if we thought there was going to be an issue! We were duped into buying this house and feel trapped and ripped off! Buying form Linden homes the worst mistake I have made in my life! I will be contacting Watchdog! My advice if considering buying one from them do not touch it with a barge pole!

abbottswalk

midwife41, Not sure I quite understand, did Linden sell the same piece of land twice? If the driveway was part of your plot and title deeds, and you completed first, surely they can't transfer it again in the eyes of the land registry. Or was the driveway not part of your plot but you need to use it as a right of way to get to your plot. In which case you need an easement, which would have hopefully been put in the title deeds. Did you use your own solicitors for conveyancing? The following site might have some useful info: Private Rights of Way in particular the "easement of necessity" may come in to play.

Hi I have had a poor experience with this company Linden Homes. We bought a house first people to move in. Our neighbours moved in 6 months later. We paid extra for our house and the parking as I am disabled. Turns out they sold part of our driveway to neighbours as garden . So we now have a major boundary dispute. We have tried to negotiate with the neighbours but to no avail sadly! We are having to take legal action. Linden homes are not interested in our plight! We sometimes get a reply from their customer services but other times not! I have today emailed their managing director, for the second time still no response! We cannot sell, have paid over the odds for this house because of the parking. We would never have bought the property if we thought there was going to be an issue! We were duped into buying this house and feel trapped and ripped off! Buying form Linden homes the worst mistake I have made in my life! I will be contacting Watchdog! My advice if considering buying one from them do not touch it with a barge pole!

NewHomeExpert

You were sold or mis-led into buying more than you ended up with.
Was your solicitor "recommended" or "suggested "by Linden, if so they may not have been acting in your best interests
In any event, you thought you were buying a larger plot than you did and your solicitor should have made you aware of this and the deeds before you exchanged contracts.
I expect the whole issue is a result of a Linden mix up on the Title Deeds.
You may like to complain using the Consumer Code for Home Builders, Linden should have given you a copy but you can download it from the link in my signature below.

For everyone else, you can always tell just how good a builder REALLY is by what they do or don't do when things go wrong!

Midwife41

You were sold or mis-led into buying more than you ended up with.
Was your solicitor "recommended" or "suggested "by Linden, if so they may not have been acting in your best interests
In any event, you thought you were buying a larger plot than you did and your solicitor should have made you aware of this and the deeds before you exchanged contracts.
I expect the whole issue is a result of a Linden mix up on the Title Deeds.
You may like to complain using the Consumer Code for Home Builders, Linden should have given you a copy but you can download it from the link in my signature below.

For everyone else, you can always tell just how good a builder REALLY is by what they do or don't do when things go wrong!

Linden homes want us to use their surveyor to assess the impact on our home value! However this looks as though it is a breach of contract by them! The general undertone seems to be they are a big company to take on legally and used to court proceedings. We are being made to feel like this is our fault whereas if they hadn't cocked up in the first place none of this would have happened!

NewHomeExpert

Don;t be bullied or pressured into giving up.
Bad things happen when good people do nothing!
Justice will always prevail in the end.
The fact that Linden appear used to going to court tell others just what they need to know about this 4 star-rated house builder!
Linden can use whichever surveyor they choose, they are paying!
There is nothing to stop you getting three local agents to visit to value your home for free.
That way when Linden's surveyor's valuation comes in, if it is way off your three you will know its a stitch-up!
It will also be useful evidence for your legal proceedings against Linden Homes too.
Any Breach of contract is a legal matter which you should discuss with your solicitor.

Midwife41

Basically our contract states we own the land it is included in our contract . We looked at the first lot of plans to be submitted to land registry and were happy with those. They were not submitted to land registry. It would appear next door moved in then a revised plan sent to land registry. Basically next doors contract signed 6 months later shows them as owning our driveway! I have gone to Greg Fitzgerald as CEO but got fobbed off with local customer service representative. We are getting undertones of Linden homes are a big company to take on! They have breached our contract I have done nothing wrong. However the interesting bit will be when it goes to court who owns the land? The people who signed the contract first? Or the neighbours who bought it second. Our argument is obviously us as how could Linden homes sell it twice? As they also signed the contract stating it was ours. The only thing I do know for certain is it will be e pensive and stressful!

NewHomeExpert

Keep at it and don't let Linden bully or frighten you from getting justice and what you bought shown on the land registry title for your property.
Greg Fitzgerald should be ashamed of himself! On another thread about Linden Homes on this very forum his company tried to force the buyer to use Linden's solicitors.
When the buyer refuse the sale was cancelled.
Given your problem it is not surprising Linden want to control the legal process!
Fitzgerald should reply to your letter, not just pass it on to the region to fob you off.

Regarding your land, you signed the contract first, so you own it. Linden cannot sell property (land) they don't own.

Write to him again, a very strong letter, threatening legal action if this is not resolved in 28 days.
Regarding cost, do you have legal expenses insurance tacked on to your home insurance cover?
This may help with legal fees. When you win, Linden will have to refund your legal costs too.
Pity the CEO doesn't "grow a pair" and do the right thing so this won't be necessary though.
It just shows you what sort of a company Linden Homes are!

abbottswalk

Sounds like you need the lawyers involved :-(

Sounds like something your conveyancing solicitor should be sorting out, unless they fouled up. You might have some recourse with the Law society, as either Linden or your solicitors would seem to have messed up submitting the land registry transfer documents.

I seem to remember having to sign & initial the Land Registry "Transfer in Part" and plot diagram documents from my sale. Did you have to do the same? If they submitted a different plot diagram that would seem fraudulent.

If you have a mortgage lender involved, it may be worth trying to contact them as they have a claim on the land too and should care if it's "not as described" (and you'll probably find they're even bigger than Linden). You may also find your home insurance has some legal cover that you can refer to.

Other things to try: local councillor, local newspaper, MP, consumer programs (house buying as it is is a significant public interest story) may be worth trying Radio 4 as well as Watchdog.
Unfortunately, all hard work and extra aggravation that no one really needs..