LABC Dispute resolution

New Build Inspections

NickD

Has anyone had any luck using the LABC dispute resolution service? We are still within our 2 year warranty period with our developer who have now effectively washed their hands of our issues and told us to use the dispute resolution service.

New Build Inspector

snagging inspections 01788 494400
It's your next step contractually
...there will be a clause which requires you to arbitrate before going to court ...Labc won't get involved if you have already threatened court action

NickD

Thank you for your reply. On the LABC policy documentation, it mentions about getting legal advice before using the dispute resolution service. I don't feel that we've been given a choice and that ultimately, the builder is responsible for rectification of the defects raised within the 2 year defects period. Is there any other way to get the builder to comply and rectify the issues other than going down the dispute resolution route?

New Build Inspector

Hi not sure about labc ...but nhbc is legally binding arbitration

If your builder won't play ball ....and you've got an arbitration clause in your contact then that's the next step

But first ensure that the issues you have are breaches of the technical standards

Download a copy to and check

Other the consumer code ...there's no where else to go at the moment .....the new homes ombudsman scheme Is not yet in place

Then depending on value it's either small claims or big boys court

There's an established proceedure here ....why don't you want to use the arbitration...it's free

New Build Inspector

A bit more

Yes the builder is responsible ...for 2 years

But your idea of standards might be different from his ...or what the warranty technical standards

Give the office a call on Monday is you want to talk ...it's a complex issue bit easily dealt with and understood by text

NickD

Thank you again for your time and response.

I'm happy to use the dispute resolution service if that is what is required. It just concerns me that the LABC state about seeking legal advice beforehand and knowing that commercially, the LABC and NHBC will always want to continue providing warranties so may not always favour with the homeowner.

I understand that the developer certainly has a lot lower standards than what I do and for the majority of things, that is just something I will need to accept but where they have breached the LABC technical standards, not installed items according to manufacturers instructions or even their own plans, then unfortunately that is something I cannot accept.

I have also been made aware that the LABC will more than likely not get involved where items do not meet the plans or are not installed to manufacturers installation instructions so don't know how to get the developer to rectify these.

I would be very grateful for some of your time to have a discussion on this. Who can I ask to speak to when I call the office?

New Build Inspector

My experience with both labc and nhbc is where there's a clear breach of standards they are usually helpfull
And have many resolution reports to confirm

If you claim for things that are not snags then you're gonna get kicked back
The nhbc state that the manufacturers installation instructions should be followed at all times and supercede thier guidance

Labc wording is obs different ...you read that or been told it ...???? Source ???

Just call 01788 811430 .....Karen , Lorraine or Paul will put you through to me or give you my number if I'm out and about