Just binned Charles Church

Bigtexo

Well, what a farce of a company, seriously.
We decided to go for one of their houses and it was also discounted from £340k to £310kband also included carpeting. It was reduced because of the small garden, and it had been Sat for unsold.
Anyway our contracts came through from our solicitor to say that we were to pay stamp duty on the £340k and not the £310 purchase price, which was a £2500 increase! We weren't told this when we were doing our reservations and handing over the £1000.
Be aware anyone buying a discounted house as they may still try and bill you for the full stamp duty.

new build inspector

snagging inspections 01788 494400
thanks for the post , ive not heard of this one before , are you using the builders own solicitor ?

legally you should pay only on the actual purchase price

Bigtexo

No, our solicitor is our solicitor with no affiliation with any new build company. And I also spoke to the area sales manager who also said that we would be paying the £2500 difference as the house has been registered as £340k and that is the stamp that is required to be paid on it and the £30k discount is an 'incentive.' Absolutely ludicrous to say the least and wouldn't even entertain them paying it and not us, we'll they've lost the sale, and I'm not being bullied or mislead by a big builder!

new build inspector

snagging inspections 01788 494400
because of web sites like zoopla ....others can find out what house prices went for ...so the builder wants to keep your house price high ...so others dont try to barter them down or surveyors down use it as a comparable to lower prices or similar homes

also
if they say they have have registered it ...who with ....they are lying ...when the sale goes through it gets registered with the land registry at the sale price

and
if they have confirmed they will pay the increase in duty to keep the actual price a secret ....then they should keep their word ...you have it it writing form anyone , or witness to the fact ?

its worth pushing their buttons for 2.5k ...thats a lot of cash to be down

Bigtexo

because of web sites like zoopla ....others can find out what house prices went for ...so the builder wants to keep your house price high ...so others dont try to barter them down or surveyors down use it as a comparable to lower prices or similar homes

also
if they say they have have registered it ...who with ....they are lying ...when the sale goes through it gets registered with the land registry at the sale price

and
if they have confirmed they will pay the increase in duty to keep the actual price a secret ....then they should keep their word ...you have it it writing form anyone , or witness to the fact ?

its worth pushing their buttons for 2.5k ...thats a lot of cash to be down

Totally agree with what you are saying, but they're a shower of poo! They've agreed to refund our reservation fee and that is that with Charles Church.
It's my first experience at buying a new build and it's like cowboy land with underhand tactics, different deals for different people.
We've now decided to go with David Wilson, as the reports have been positive about the build (where we are) and the sales staff and area manager have been really nice to deal with and upfront and proactive with answering questions.

Hope this helps people in some small way.

Last edited by a moderator:

hossballs

I'd give the local Trading Standards department a heads up on this even if you are not going ahead, I'm sure they would be interested.

Bigtexo

I'd give the local Trading Standards department a heads up on this even if you are not going ahead, I'm sure they would be interested.

Actually my neighbour works for the Trading Standards in the council and i was telling her the story and was appalled at what they were trying to do. She is going to look into this further!