Is my brickwork off?

New Build Inspections

Keifeh

Hi, I wonder if someone can take a look at this and tell me if this is normal? This is my first home and I'm not sure if my concern is warranted.

2 items:
  • The mix of bricks used seems to be different as you work up the building - I can see three distinct groups, the most pronounced being mid 1st floor?
  • There is a visible gap where the Soffit Board should meet the brickwork

The house is now much further on than this, completion is due in a few weeks now. I don't have a better photo to illustrate the issue though.

Let me know if I'm being a fanny!

20160714_204620.jpg

We have quite excessive banding, different bricks and different mortar –*I've attached a photo.

1-IMG_8970.jpg

We've spoken with the builder (David Wilson Homes) and NHBC.

NHBC guidelines state ‘colour banding of fairfaced masonry should be avoided by mixing batches and consignments of bricks’.

DWH can't realistic do anything about the bricks at this stage but have agreed to stain the mortar.

Apparently they do this from time to time after the scaffold comes down and they realise what has happened.

NewHomeExpert

We have quite excessive banding, different bricks and different mortar –*I've attached a photo.

View attachment 321

... after the scaffold comes down and they realise what has happened.

So they don't look at the walls before then?
Disgraceful.
There are many CAUSES which should alarm you!
These include mortar mix variation, lighter colour means less cement, means weaker walls!
It looks like you have coloured mortar which they ran out of and carried on anyway with the block mortar (which may have been a different mix)
(this would also show how little they CARE about the quality of what they are building)
Frost or water damage (weaker wall!)

Tinting is a bodge and may not last. The right course of action is to re erect the scaffolding and rake out the lighter joints and re point with the right mortar!

Deadeye

I've got a garage wall just like this.

DWH have wiped their hands of it and NHBC have done nothing. NHBC seem as bad if not worse than DWH at communicating.