Insulation Certificate

New Build Inspections

Lolly

I was under the impression that all new houses came with an Insulation Certificate and after three requests to Charles Church (don't ya love em) and three replies of "yes, it's on its way" I've now had this reply....

"With regards to the insulation certificate, please accept my apologies
having spoken to our surveying team they have informed me that the
properties do not have cavity wall insulation. Your homes is insulated,
but as a timber build frame this is pre insulated with either celotex or
phenolic foam, this is done before the house is erected an as such
certificates are not issued."

So, is this Charles Church providing their usual lack of customer service peppered with blatant lies or are they telling the truth for once?

NewHomeExpert

You should have got an NHBC card telling you basic details of the construction of your new home.
Timber frame homes are usually insulated with mineral wool (aka fibreglass) which is fitted between the inner skins studs after it is erected and after the electrical first-fix (wiring). Then the vapour barrier is fitted before drylining.
Celotex a type of rigid foam insulation may have been used but this is more expensive and normally only used where an airflow needs to be maintained such as in skielings for rooms in roof spaces.
Certain types of foam insulation have been known to cause degradation to the insulation on electrical cables. So if they have used this you may have even more to worry about!

From what you say Charles Church have told you, it would seem they don't have a clue what they have built and how they insulated it!

A house builder telling the truth? lol

Lolly

Thanks NHE.
The only certificate we have so far is one with the old Contracts Managers name on it with the title "Quality of Construction Certificate" but it doesn't mention construction materials. It's quite vague and looks like I knocked it up on my laptop!
It's not an NHBC certificate and it just states that our home has been constructed in accordance with relevant building regulations (it hasn't though as its CC hahaha)

Luckily we did get professional staggers in so I'm hoping they will sort all the problems out (187 so far and increasing daily).