Incentives and free finishing touches?

New Build Inspections

nevfree

Phoned their sales office today to enquiry about incentives and free finishing touches as sales advisor on site didn't have much info. Mentioned that I have reserved one of their plots but having second thoughts as the standard finish of the house is not good enough for us. They said their head office will give me a call back to discuss, what shall I expect?
Paying extra for flooring and tiling in bathroom and kitchen would cost a fortune...

jcm

I bargained heavily with the sales rep to get as much as I possibly could. This is what I managed to get:

- All rooms fully carpeted
- Kitchen floored
- Bathroom floored
- Stainless steel oven/hob upgrade
- Integrated washer & dryer
- Integrated dishwasher

They didn't hand it over, I had to go back three or four times and tell them that I wasn't prepared to move on the price and I demanded that they give me all those extras too, or I wouldn't go ahead with the purchase. I also asked for even more stuff, but I think I pushed them to the limit and did well to get what I did!

Make it sound like it's not looking good for them, and as if they would need to offer you a lot to go through with it.

nevfree

Thanks JCM,

They already mentioned carpets through out, but I am concern about half tiled bathroom and no fixed shower, how are you suppose to have a shower in that case? It's not quite clear what to expect. Suppose to go and do a proper reservation form this week, is that when you discuss all this or after official reservation.
As it's new development (being build now), the sales rep didnt have much info herself, she says she has to speak to head office to see what they will offer. Who makes the decision? Sales rep or head office?

nevfree

Having serious doubts now...It turned out the property next door is cheaper per sq foot...(cause its slightly bigger and mid terrace, also has en-suite)
37 pounds difference in the square foot price on the one we reserved only because its end of terrace?? Seems way too much, also NO en-suite...
Grrr....thinking of changing development if no incentive is offered to keep us there.

CoolBeanz

I bargained heavily with the sales rep to get as much as I possibly could. This is what I managed to get:

- All rooms fully carpeted
- Kitchen floored
- Bathroom floored
- Stainless steel oven/hob upgrade
- Integrated washer & dryer
- Integrated dishwasher

They didn't hand it over, I had to go back three or four times and tell them that I wasn't prepared to move on the price and I demanded that they give me all those extras too, or I wouldn't go ahead with the purchase. I also asked for even more stuff, but I think I pushed them to the limit and did well to get what I did!

Make it sound like it's not looking good for them, and as if they would need to offer you a lot to go through with it.

Did you get anything off the list price?

CoolBeanz

Having serious doubts now...It turned out the property next door is cheaper per sq foot...(cause its slightly bigger and mid terrace, also has en-suite)
37 pounds difference in the square foot price on the one we reserved only because its end of terrace?? Seems way too much, also NO en-suite...
Grrr....thinking of changing development if no incentive is offered to keep us there.

Hmm, it's difficult to decide whether it's a good price or not without looking at the plot/development etc.

My house is a detached three bed, and is only £15k more than an end of terrace house but it approx 15% bigger. I would say mine is a bargain, and the terraced ones a little over priced.

I guess they can get away with pricing like that because they are more buyers at the lower price level. When mine was valued, it was mainly based on the floor space and then compared to other housing - however what attracted me to my house is the fact it is detached in a city where they are very few detached houses full stop.

Send me a PM if you like, I'll look at the development and give an opinion (I'll keep your development private of course).

Rgds,

nevfree

Thanks CoolBeanz, I thougth I'd do a quick update.

House was downvalued (as I expected) from 250,000 to 230,000 and Persimmons agreed to go with the Lower Price and keep the incentives they gave us which include carpets, integrated washer/dryer, upgraded electric hob to gas and full height tiling in bathroom instead of half height and shower screen for the bath (all because the house doesnt have an en-suite in the master bedroom)
Anyway, we have now exchanged on completion, been to the development few times and seems that building is going OK, seen kitchen, tiles, flooring samples...all seems very exciting, but just hoping building will be completed on time and won't have any major snagging issues.
Have you moved into you house? How's it going? Any snagging issues?

CoolBeanz

Hi Nev,

I'm in my house, and I'm very happy with it. They are a few snags, some fixed today (window and a door was drafty).

The builders seem nice enough, always offer them a cup of tea and biscuit and they be more inclined to do a good job!

There is only one snag, and that's the roof; albeit cosmetic. The tiles weren't mixed around when built so you can see two definite different types of shades. I've been told it should weather in two years, and I'm waiting for that. However, if the builders did offer to put up scaffolding to change the roof... would I really want it?? I doubt it.

Everything else I could do myself if I wanted. The painting is crap in areas, but if I was honest they did a better job than I could. I do have some touch up paint and will touch up areas soon. However, I did cause marks myself.. specially rubbing off pencil lines and rubbing off the actual paint - remember it is very thin and there is only one coat!

CoolBeanz

Oh, just to add a little more. It sounds as though you got a good discount, I did try to gazunder at the last min for another £10k off and they actually put the house back on the market after my bluff.. I gave in in the end.

Oh, and since I reserved mine they have sold all houses last week. They are even now building on the car park for the sales office (which is the last house); so despite what some would wish to be the case, house are selling!

Also, one house like mine is on the market for 15k more than I've spent (carpets, fixings etc)

Tony

Administrator
I've been told it should weather in two years

And if it doesn't you won't be able to do anything about it as you can't report snags after two years. Personally, I would get this fixed as it may not bother you, but could potentially put off a future buyer. Difficult to say without seeing it.

Tony

CoolBeanz

I put it down on my one month form, and agreed to wait 2 years from the roof going on. I dare say I will have to decide then. I have spoken to Mardon (not sure if they are the tiles on my roof) and they did say it would weather.

I don't want to put a photo up here, but I could email you one?