how to check if we are connected to the water company's main sewage system??

New Build Inspections

matahari

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate some help if possible.
Basically, we've been living in our newly built property since 2013. Immediately,we started to pay water and sewage charges to the water company not thinking too much of it. Recently,it came to light that some newer built properties on the estate are not connected into the main sewage system but to a 'septic tank' which is then emptied few times a week, all paid for by the developer. These houses now got a refund from the water company for the sewage charges.
I called the company who just told me that we are connected to the sewage and been since 2012. Well, the developer told us back in 2014 that we were not connected to the main sewage but to a tank. Also, I called the developer couple of weeks ago who told me that they were advised by the water company itself that we were NOT connected yet.
So, one of them has the wrong information and I don't trust them,both seem useless. I would like to figure out myself if we are connected or not and when did we get onto the sewage if we ever did. Where could I get hold of the sewage inforamtions regarding our own property?
Thanks for any advice!!!

uyq06fku

Hello,

You might find that your local authority has an online planning website. The one for my local authority is called "Waveny planning portal" and has the application documents for seemingly every application going back for years and years. The detail on there is surprising, they have all the associated documents for my estate on there including street lights, planting, road surface specifications, all the objections from locals and waste water pipe plans / docs from water company.

Try looking for a planning section on your local authority website!

Fenman48

sewage connection

Hi
uyq06fku

Here you have a problem where you feel you are getting the run around from all parties. Then do not telephone them where they can give you any answer and the result is not recorded.
Write to them and send by recorded delivery. You will only need a simple letter asking if your property is connected or not. No information on what was said and not said or what others on your estate are doing. Two lines only. However do not give a tel number or e mail address. Let somebody think about your question and check before they answer. The answer has to be in writing and can be used as evidence if you need to claim back payments.

Wish you luck

matahari

Thank you for the advice. Will def check out the planning section of the council. 'Fenman48' do you think an email would not be a good idea then? That is a written proof, is it not?

Fenman48

sewage connection

Hi

No. Companies have not got a good handle on this and many of their staff use e mails as they would answer the old internal mail. If you want somebody to check and take you seriously use the letter form. You could also insist on a reply in writing. If you want to catch a company out and finally take them to court try the e mail approach. You may be surprised the bullshit people will put in e mails.

You need an answer so use the letter form. Remember 2 line letter sent by recorded delivery to each of them.

NewHomeExpert

I expect the storage tank was a temporary measure as the builder and/or water company couldn't get the mains drainage constructed and connected before these homes moved in. Perhaps a pumping station was required.

Nevertheless, you would have to pay sewerage charges if everything had been fine anyway and unless the builder was also charging you I think you can let this go.

Every homeowner should make sure they are connected to storm water drainage.
If they have a soakaway in their garden all home owners do not have to pay storm water drainage charges.