Help - Roof Pictures raises a lot of questions?

Discussion in 'Bellway Homes' started by bindu4076, Jan 8, 2014.

1. bindu4076

bindu4076 New Member

Background

Bought a Bellway in June 2012. Started having a lot of problems after about 3 months.

Buzzing sounds coming from attic space above the loft bedroom! To my horror....when opening the attic hatch....there were flies flying around. Apparantly, we had a cluster fly infestation. Bellway sent pest controller after 4 months of constant nagging.

DSC00391.jpg

Also...took pictures of loft trusses....something doesn't look right here. Should the truss be cut at the hip like this? And what is the brown thing at the gable end hip joint?

DSC00381.jpg

Breeze block at this gable looks like it has damp on it. I have also attached pictures of the other side of this gable wall ie: the external wall of this gable wall.

DSC00381.jpg

DSC00242.jpg There are 3 cracks along this UPVc verge board

DSC00264.jpg Water ingress under roof tiles on backer-board?

Flashing on roof-lights has been installed incorrectly. Bellway was notified in March 2013. NHBC was notified in August 2013. To date...nothing has been done about it. Below is now the result of the recent winds we had during Christmas!!

DSC00009.jpg

On windy days....there is a draught thoughout the loft bedroom which doors clattering or banging shut and it feels like roof is about to take off in the wind!

I forgot to add....the tile clips at this particular hip joint are also loose...and the tiles keep clattering the wind as well....so we have stereophonic clattering sounds...from the flashing as well as the tiles.

#1 bindu4076, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. bindu4076

bindu4076 New Member

Here is the picture of the loose tile clips!! Note top clip at the hip.

DSC00646.JPG

3. NewHomeExpert

NewHomeExpert Well-Known Member

To go through your pictures:
    1) When you said buzzing sound I thought electrical! You have to ask how the flies got in in the first place, or did they "hatch" after getting during construction perhaps? Either way they are gone now.

2) Roof trusses are factory made structurally engineered components. Under no circumstances whatsoever should ANY modifications be made to any of them without manufacturers consultation and sign-off. The cut truss is unsupported and over time this could mean your roof may even sag. They do look like they have added a ridge board piece but a purlin would also be required. At present, just the nails in the rood bracing are supporting this!

3) This may be damp, it may just be colouration of the block or staining from the mortar.
    If its any consolation I have some of these in my roof and have no issues.

4) UPVC verge and trim can and should be easily replaced by Bellway.

5) The Velux flashing needs re doing as it has not been correctly fitted or the wrong kit has been used.

6) Not sure about the cause of the wet undercloak. In any event Bellway should check it. probably due to (7) below.

7) the eaves tile clips should be touching the tiles. This is a secondary protection against tiles blowing off the verges in high winds. from what you have said they have already detached from the mortar bedding and will need re bedding. To do it properly, a scaffold is required!

Whilst none of this is perfect, I feel you are letting the thread "NHBC butchered my roof" worry you unduly.
    I know it is similar and it is Bellway, but not all Bellway homes need to be demolished!

Get Bellway to inspect it and give you their proposals, if they don't, insist on the NHBC getting involved.

#3 NewHomeExpert, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014