Help dealing with Miller Homes Scotland

New Build Inspections

SteveF

Better quality built homes should mean there should be "few difficulties".
Miller Homes state their own Customer Satisafction survey scores are high too.
There are far worse house builders in this country than Miller Homes imo.

The NHBC "quality" Awards are, in my opinion, little other than subjectively assessed 'top of' site manager charts which do not necessarily indicate total compliance with NHBC Technical Standards and the requirements of Building Regulations. I speak from a position of intimate knowledge.

My offer of assistance is specifically in relation to Miller Homes in Scotland where in my experience the standards have not been met across a number of developments. Should you have anything to add to this thread of a factual nature then I would be delighted to hear it.

SteveF

NewHomeExpert

The NHBC "quality" Awards are, in my opinion, little other than subjectively assessed 'top of' site manager charts which do not necessarily indicate total compliance with NHBC Technical Standards and the requirements of Building Regulations. I speak from a position of intimate knowledge.

My offer of assistance is specifically in relation to Miller Homes in Scotland where in my experience the standards have not been met across a number of developments. Should you have anything to add to this thread of a factual nature then I would be delighted to hear it.

SteveF

The NHBC awards are a factual matter! They are not given to site managers who build poor quality new homes. meeting the NHBC standards is a given, these managers EXCEED this basic requirement and go the 'extra mile' to ensure the homes they build are of the highest quality. Miller win more awards per 1000 homes than any other major house builder.

Like you, I speak from "initmate knowledge" having managed building sites for 30 years and won several NHBC awards.

Perhaps Miller do have some rogue sites in Scotland, but they have less than most of the other major builders.

SophieD

I live in a Miller flat in Scotland which I purchased as a new build in 2007. The lights in the communal stairwell have never worked properly since we all moved in which was due to them not being fitted right at the time and a number of complaints have been made over the years. Now only 1 light is working. Our facilitators have written to every resident this week asking us to pay a large amount each to have the light fittings fixed as Miller homes "have refused to have any involvement with the repairs and as such the costs to repair the lights fall to the co-proprietors." I am meeting with the residents tomorrow to discuss it. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

NewHomeExpert

If the complaint was made by any resident owner of the flats before the expiry of two years from when the flat was first was occupied and if the problem was never permanently fixed then you are covered under the NHBC warranty.
YOU should write to the NHBC sending them copies of your original letters to Miller Homes when you notified them of the faultly lights.
You should include details of dates and any attempted repairs of work that Miller subsequently carried out.

Mu guess is that everyone in your block left it to everyone else to report or assumed the managing agent would take care of it directly with Miller Homes.
In the end no one did anything and you are now stuck with a large bill.

How do you know the lights were "not fitted right"? Are you a qualified electrician?
May just need new bulbs and the managing agents and their contractors are ripping you all off.
It has happend before!
A good reason to steer clear of leasehold properties.

SophieD

Thanks for your response. The NHBC was discussed; as the quote from the electrician (the facilitator arranged for the quote and sent a copy this week) was just under £1000 we think it won't be covered (coincidence?)The electrician states he needs to replace 8 gear trays. Other residents have been replacing the bulbs themselves but this hasn't helped. I thought the lights had never been fitted properly because that's what the other residents have been saying and for years the lights have been buzzing and cutting out every other week there has always been at least two not working. I agree with what you said though everyone just assumed it was getting done and we have learned the hard way, we should of complained more at the start (although I think some residents did?) We are going to arrange our own electrician to quote and then we will agree to pay, one person is refusing to pay (he rents the flat out so doesn't actually live there.) We were thinking about going to the press as we do feel let down by Miller just at the way they have handled it.

NewHomeExpert

Once you know the cost, my suggestion would be to write to Miller CEO Keith "Our mission and values are to deliver world-class levels of service to our customers" Miller.

You should tell him your problem, how long it has been going on and , how much it will cost to put right.
Whilst he can under the warranty wriggle out of any responsibility, Miller may have a liability under the Defective Premises Act.
I would inform him that unless he reinburses the leaseholders with the full cost of the repairs, you will be taking action in the County Court to recover the cost of the work.
It is easy to do and there are no legal fees involved for you. You may not win the case but for around £110 plus the hearing fee of around 10% of the amount claimed, (You get the fees back when you win) you can have a day in court and invite all the press you like.
My guess is Miller will pay up before the court hearing!