Hearing every sound from above

New Build Inspections

raidnay81

I moved into my new build flat just over a year ago and have spent the best part of this wrangling with the property developer, Taylor Wimpey, over the sound of footsteps from the flat above; basically I hear every single footstep.

After many emails and letters, they finally decided to perform a sound test at the start of the year but performed the wrong test, an airborne one rather than an impact test. When I bought this to their attention, they claimed the test was a valid one for impact issues too. I continued disputing this with them at which point they claimed that an impact test would not be done because it could damage the laminate floor of the flat above and that was the end of the matter, any further issues would have to be taken up with NHBC.

So I did, and currently am in the process of trying to get them to perform an impact test, however I'm slightly perturbed by the fact that I can't find a single thread/post where NHBC have actually gone ahead and carried out a sound test, seems like they favor the developer. Further still, I can't find any instance online of someone having a carried out a sound test which has failed and subsequent remedial work has been carried out. Does anyone have any stories of success?

NewHomeExpert

Now you have a "deadlock" letter from Taylor Wimpey, take this up with the NHBC.
Write to them again and make a formal claim under your Buildmark Warranty.
The NHBC do appear to favour housebuilders, they after all, do pay substantial warranty premiums to the NHBC every year!

However, even if they do carry out an impact sound test, it does not mean that anything will be done.
Taylor Wimpey have a dreadful reputation as far as noise is concerned.
Google "Taylor Wimpey Noise" "Sound Insulation" 30,000 results!

The laminate flooring is not helping, carpet would be better.

raidnay81

Surely if the sound test fails the criteria set by building regs they are legally obligated to rectify the issue, are they not?

NewHomeExpert

You would think so.
But wait until you hear the "flanking sound" excuse.
They will say that flanking sound isn't covered by the regulations.
In my opinion sound is sound however it gets transferred to neighbouring homes.
NHBC and housebuilders know that to sort it out will be expensive and could lead to every flat or house requiring the same remedial action.
So they give you Bu***hit excuses to do nothing.

That is why new homes are not worth buying!
But people come on thsi forum and my website, think they know better and still buy them!
Go figure!

raidnay81

Well, If I knew what I know now I would have never bought a new build, which is pretty much what I tell anyone planning on buying one. I want to sell the property, which is one of the reasons I want to have a sound test done and any issues rectified before I do so, wouldn't want to sell to anyone the way it currently is.