First time buyer, unaware new builds could be so dodgy!

Hello,

I am currently in the process of purchasing a new home with Persimmon, contracts exchanged before Christmas, no issues up until that point, everything was straight forward, a breeze, estimated completion middle of Feb.

Upon putting our plot reservation fee down, we were told our kitchen and bathrooms were pretty much completed, so we couldn't upgrade features. We were shown what had been put in there and it was to the 'standard', was all fine, we were happy.

Had we not got a friend who is purchasing a house with them also, we wouldn't have been made aware their was no flooring being put down until moving into the property. The salesman was 'concerned' and wondered why we would think it came with flooring. Admittedly, being a first time buyer, probably a bit naive about these things, and really should have done my homework.

Now we are hitting brick walls about everything, whenever we speak to the salesman he states one thing then a couple of weeks later he acts as if it hasn't been said. We are now going to write everything down that is said during our meetings.

Communication is non existent, and we are not being kept up to date with anything, we are constantly chasing.

Again, we should have really done our homework, but we have gone with a legal company they have recommended. I see a few things on this site that say this isn't a good idea. I am just hoping that the issues I have raised with them about Persimmon don't get swept under the carpet.

NewHomeExpert

Trust no one! Record conversations on your mobile phone.
Get everything in writing. Photograph the plans.

Yes you should have done your homework.
Using a housebuilder's own solicitor is the single worse thing you can do!
Even worse than buying anew home from Persimmon!
This is what can happen!
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/25743...fter-bungle-gives-neighbour-half-her-bedroom/

At least protect yourself by having your new home professionally snagged and inspected before you legally complete.

By the way, you can get your own carpets laid in the home a few days before you move in (if its actually finished that is) all you need to do is sign a waiver that you not Persimmon are responsible for any damage. Your insurance won't cover this as you won't own the home at that time.

I did speak to a few local solicitors first before choosing the one I have gone with, they didn't see any problem with them and so far I haven't had any issues. They have been very accommodating and have helped every step of the way so far, though I do take on board trust no one.

We have every intention of doing a snag check before going in, and we made the sales advisor at our Persimmon site very aware of this. We also have very knowledgeable people doing the checks with us.

As I have said and you have also said, yes I should have done my homework, but I had a couple of good recommendations of Persimmon and so in our first time buying naivety went based on recommendation.

How would we go about setting this waiver in place? Is this something I need to draft up with the solicitors?

We have taken photographs of the plans, and I am going to ask for doubles of all the paperwork that has been produced so far, though I have scanned/photographed quite a few already.

Fenman48

Salesman meetings

Just a thought on your quote about meetings with the salesman.
I was recently introduced to the use of a USB stick recorder from Amazon. You can record conversations and then store on your computer.
You should advise the salesman he is being recorded.

This is what we plan to do.

Just had an email back from our solicitor, Persimmon's solicitors will not allow any other contractors onto plot prior to completion, so we will be unable to obtain a snag inspection prior to moving in it seems.

Not sure how we can get round this!

Solicitor has now stated that Persimmon solicitors have said no access to contractors is for the carpet laying, for some reason as soon as I mentioned the waiver it has now been bought up that we cannot put flooring down until completion.

With regards to the snagging inspection, this has to take place during the home demo and I will be notified of a date and time when this can happen.

Fenman48

Snagging Inspection

I would have thought you would not go ahead with buying a property without a survey. The normal building surveyor service for the mortgage is in the interest of the lender and sees that the building will be at the value to cover their loan to you. You are entitled to have your own survey done by a competent building surveyor. He is a consultant not a contractor. He will look for problems at about £500 but you could also have a custom building survey. If they refuse this I would walk away and ask for any deposit to be returned.

In respect to the carpets you have to watch the legal problems. You do not own the property and therefore cannot insure or claim for any damage. You also cannot claim if the floor screed has not fully dried out and causes damage to the carpets. Certainly I would not even contemplate this until you are 100% satisfied from the survey.

NewHomeExpert

With regards to the snagging inspection, this has to take place during the home demo and I will be notified of a date and time when this can happen.

It will be too late then! There is no reason why a snagging inspection cannot take place before Legal Completion, unless of course Persimmon have something they want to hide until its too late!

charlieboy

re snagging

Solicitor has now stated that Persimmon solicitors have said no access to contractors is for the carpet laying, for some reason as soon as I mentioned the waiver it has now been bought up that we cannot put flooring down until completion.

Hi i have managed sites for persimmon
take your time while the home demonstration is taking place the manager will inform you that this is not a snagging procedure and will inform you to move in and do the snagging over a 1 month period then any items found will firstly be looked at by the site manager then any others will be sent to customer services
The customer services are a complete waste of time all they are interested in is selling
if you are lucky they will offer you incentives so just push push and push again they will give you free wardrobes, carpets,turf, i have witnessed this myself, you could even be cheeky and ask for the same specification materials as the housing associations have as they are far better than private clients pay for
Push hard enough and they will give you everything

The main thing to keep in mind is the customer survey form they want to be a 5 star builder at all costs so they will buy your cooperation for filling in the form

Just keep mentioning the 5 star staus and use it to your advantage

Last edited:

new build inspector

snagging inspections 01788 494400
never ever ...use the same solicitor as the builder , in the event of a dispute they will say their is a conflict of interest and send you off somewhere else

if you have any questions ...post them on here to get the answers or PM me

Dez

Site manager was aware of my negative NHBC survey response to my new build so openly stated they would not be seeking our response to their own site survey as they knew my response would be negative and did not want to skew their site results. What a shower of losers they are to not wanting to take their own criticisms ..... they should lose another star so folk really understand just how bad a deal they will be getting.

Dez

Nothing new there its like dealing with sharks.....you will also have to pay for the grass laying usually on really crap clay diggings not nice top soil. They really should have told you about the flooring and grass which is one of the reasons they come over as reasonably priced. Watch out for the upgrade pricing on anything they offer you can find better and cheaper elsewhere they are taking a good cut of the extras as well. Everything must be in writing no matter how trivial they are totally untrustworthy or being kind.... mostly incompetent