Final snagging review

Discussion in 'Other developers' started by Penelope, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Penelope

Penelope New Member

Afternoon

I have recently bought a newbuild from the first owner. The house is now 22 months old and I commissioned a surveyor to complete the final snagging review. Bar one, all the issues he identified have been rejected. Issues such as incorrectly hung doors and badly fitted fittings have rejected as "home owner maintenance".

Other points - switches fixed upside down and missing wiring for lighting - are dismissed as "this should have been reported within 14 days of legal completion for liability to be accepted". I wasn't told this by the developer (or solicitor) and can find nothing in the documentation about this.

The surveyor noted that there was a blockage away from my home that was contributing to debris in the rainwater gulley. He said the developer ought to remediate because it was nothing to do with me. Again the developer has said "home owner maintenance".

Does anyone have any idea what I should do? Currently, I am annoyed and willing to take legal steps (if that would produce a suitable outcome). I feel I am being fobbed off because I am a second owner.

Thank you for reading!

Penelope

2. NewHomeExpert

NewHomeExpert Well-Known Member

You are being fobbed off as the second owner!
    But you still have 2 months NHBC warranty left.
    This will only cover issues and defects that are caused by NHBC standards for materials and or workmanship but will cover things like upside down light switches.
    That said it is only two screws!
    After 22 months, basic snagging items will not be covered for example anything that is damaged or poor quality workmanship, decoration defects etc.
    That said, quite where the builder gets 14 days from I don't know! They all seem to think they can re write the rules to suit as they want!

Drainage especially storm water on a new development should be investigated by the house builder.
    It is highly likely that this is caused by builder's rubble or perhaps the fact that it is not even connected to the mains drains (it has been known)
    Again the NHBC will help.

Write one last letter to the house builder head office and copy your letter (with the list) to the NHBC requesting them to instruct the house builder to honour their responsibilities under the warranty.

Who is the house builder? Help others and name and shame!

3. Penelope

Penelope New Member

Hello again

Thank you very much for that helpful response. I will write to the HQ and copy the letter to the NHBC. The drainage issue was identified by my surveyor as something that the builder ought to remedy quickly.

May I be cheeky and request further advice? On one item - defective glass in patio window - I was directed to the glazier. Should that be the case; shouldn't the builder do that for me (my reasoning is that as an individual I have less clout than a large builder)? I have also been directed to the manufacturer on a defective oven hood - is that right?

The one thing the builder has agreed to remediate is the roof. My surveyor identified one slipped tile and said others were loose. About a week later four came down (over 2 days). This was two weeks ago and the hole is still there. Mind you, the builder said it wasn't a "warranty issue" and has refused to pay the costs of getting the slates to me. I am still waiting an answer to when the tiles will be replaced.

I am happy to identify the builder - Bloor Homes. Feel free to change the title of this thread so others can see.

Thanks again.

4. NewHomeExpert

Glazing units are normally warranteed by the manufacturer and.or installer.
    Some even have a ten year warranty against sealed units failing (misting up)
    Now you have said its Bloor homes you have little or no chance of them doing anything.
    Posts on this forum show they are not that responsive to their own customers let alone second buyers!

Tiles on the roof should be fixed to NHBC standards, so Bloor liability would depend on where those that came off were.
    They should not hide behind the homeowner maintenance argument.
    Show what sort of company they are!

5. Penelope

Penelope New Member

Thank you again for your quick and helpful response. The warranty is with LABC rather than NHBC. I guess that makes no difference? I have looked briefly on the internet and can't see anything between the 2. I have a final letter to go to Bloor HQ and have cc'ed it to LABC. On first reading, I missed this from Bloors:

"Please be advised, as you are a second home owner, the 2 year maintenance warranty is not applicable but you are covered by the remaining 8 years for structural issues with the LABC."

Is this still part of fobbing me off?

Thank you again for your help.

P

6. NewHomeExpert

Who is providing the warranty DOES make a difference.
    Most are limited and have exclusions but the house builders that choose not to use the NHBC do so for a reason and it is more likely to be because of their poor quality than the cost.
    It is only when buyers make a warranty claim that the differences become apparent!
    The warranty all of it 2 and 8 year sections is transferable when the home is sold.
    Bloor are totally incorrect in saying this to you.
    Quite frankly it is disgusting the way Bloor Homes are fobbing you off and this should act as a big red flag to anyone considering buying one of their homes.

7. Penelope

Penelope New Member

Once again, thank you for your support, and quick response. Please could you alter the heading of this thread to something more appropriate eg Bloor refuses to honour warranty. I really regret buying this house....

8. NewHomeExpert

I am not a moderator on the forum and do not own it.
    As such I cannot change post titles or move posts.