Extreme Condensation in loft (dripping throughout house)

Discussion in 'Snagging - general' started by Twistedpixel, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Twistedpixel

Twistedpixel New Member

My new build home has a serious water problem. We noticed dripping from the ceiling in various places all over upstairs. On contacting the site manager, I was told it's just condensation and is normal for new houses.

It's getting much worse. Dropping from light fixtures in the bathroom, making its way to the ground floor ceilings too. The yellow insulation in the loft is SATURATED.

They've told me to leave the loft hatch open (from what I've read, this is a bad idea.) The site manager has told me we should see how things go. He seems like a genuine enough guy so I want to make sure I'm not being given the run around. I have no problem writing to their head office about this but I'd like to be a bit more diplomatic about it first with the site manager.

I've tried to get as much info as I can online but this is a very confusing thing for new home owners - we have zero experience with this so I'm calling for help from those who have experienced this before (and of course the man himself, NewHomeExpert!!) There seems to be nothing concrete available to suggest what level of "new build wetness" is acceptable.

Thanks in advance!

#1 Twistedpixel, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  2. andreklmn

andreklmn New Member

I've got the same problem with my shambolic Persimmon home. Last year they said it was due to the house drying out. However a few days ago it came back much worse. I went in the loft myself, and found the eaves at the front of the house had been stuffed with insulation, thus blocking the front soffit vents. So all the air coming in from the back had nowhere to go. Obviously Persimmon are denying all responsibility so I'm taking it to the NHBC.
    Most of our insulation is soaking and needs replaced but they are refusing to do that. What I've done is obviously removed the insulation from the eaves, used several towels to dry the roof lining and removed the wet insulation. Do not leave the hatch open. This will make the problem much worse at this time of year.

3. Twistedpixel

Twistedpixel New Member

From reading the posts on this forum, Persimmon seem to be developers to avoid. I'm sure you're feeling that too after your experience!

I'm beginning to think the issue is that there is a gap (or gaps) in the fitted lights in the upstairs bathroom. This seems the only logical reason for so much moisture to be collecting up there. I don't understand why they don't fit some sort of funnel system to catch excess droplets and guide them out a down pipe or something.

I may have to follow in your footsteps and contact NHBC myself and Bett's head office to get this sorted. The site manger says the only thing he can do is add more white vents to the roof. Seems reasonable but only if that's going to fix the problem, not just make it a bit better.

4. zednine

zednine New Member

dont keep the loft hatch open, this will make it worse.. you need air flow in the loft, the soffits should be vented for this reason to stop condensation..