DWH 'ELBA PARK' the worst build quality ever and the poorest customer service ever!!

New Build Inspections

Depeche01

I purchased a new property on the 'Elba Park' development last year at Houghton le Spring. The house was handed over to us in a very poor state and we should have never completed on the sale. DWH have taken months and months to sort out their problems and to top it all I paid for Solar panels that have never worked correctly from day 1. Their promise of a 5 star build is more like a 1 star build quality, to give an example of this, who fits a shower screen without screws but with sealant to hold it in? Ceiling lights hanging out of fittings, windows that don't close, no wardrobes fitted, holes in walls, kitchen units that are different in colour. They then try and bribe you to give them great feedback to achieve their 5 star rating and as soon as that's done you are forgotten about. Everyone we have spoken to on this development has had the same or similar problems. Their customer services department is probably one of the worst departments I have ever spoken or had to deal with, broken promises, rude and condesending staff who basically do not give a toss about the amount of money you have spent or how you are feeling about the disappointment of having a poor quality home. Their customer charter does not live up to their values in my eyes. I could go on and on for ages however, if you are reading this you will totally understand my unhappiness and frustration with DWH!!!

NewHomeExpert

The 5-star rating is given from the answers to questions in the HBF survey.
You will/should get one after 8 weeks and will be able to score them based on your opinions especially for the first two questions.
If only everyone who was sent these forms filled them in we may all get a TRUE picture and not the one the HBF and house builders love to paint.
How were you bribed?

Sadly your experiences are not an isolated case.
All the big house builders care about is profit and numbers of homes built each year.
They promise everything and deliver nothing.

It is only when people stop buying these badly-built, small and poor value new homes that things will improve.

In the meantime complain in writing to the CEO at Barratt Mr Mark Clare and inform him of your experiences and opinions.
Perhaps then the regional office will start to treat its customers a whole lot better.

Depeche01

Hi thanks for the reply. I have already done the big complaint letter to Mark Clare, who past it to Mike Roberts to deal with. Basically they just kept on apologising for the problems they caused us and would do all they can to put all the situation right! Well, they do try to put things right however, not to a good standard so they have to keep coming back. I always laugh when you read their adverts' a place where dreams are made of'.....No where 'the nightmares start'!!! As for the bribe, we were told to fill it in with 5 stars and we would be looked after, well we filled it in on how we were treated so we gave them really naff scores, our neighbours were bribed with a bottle wine, again they were honest like me.

This development design build is about houses being designed to Code 4 standard. Well that's a joke as neighbours are missing key features that make up the Code 4 eg water butts, washing lines and solar panels that do not work when you move in.

In my eyes DWH / Barratt are a brand that I would stay away from in the future. The only advice I would give to someone buying a new home is to check it over for defects before agreeing completion......and do not believe what the sales team tell you about you will be looked after!! Sad to say when buying a new home is to be an exciting time. Ours was not, the only saving grace is we have lovely neighbours and we like the area.

NewHomeExpert

Don't let the top brass fob you off.
Write again to Mark Clare and ask HIM to reply as it is HIS company and he is RESPONSIBLE for the standard of your house.

The CEO should not delegate but if they do and they never hear from you again they will assume that everything is alright now.

You must tell him that he has failed you as a customer, you would never buy from them again and will advise others not to as you have done here.

You should also write to advise him that you are considering legal action against Barratt in the County Court and that "time is of the essence".

Please everyone remember that the big house builders rely on their unhappy purchasers giving up and accepting a badly-built defect-ridden new home.

If everyone made a fuss standards would improve - they would have to!

Sadly most new home buyers get caught up in the exitement of buying anew home and seeing it being built.

Everyone should thoroughly get their new home checked over BEFORE they legally complete and refuse to do so until they are hapy with the standard.

Last edited: