Doorstop placed closed to door hinges causing hinges to crack

New Build Inspections

alladin

Hi, (sorry the title should have read "Doorstop placed close to door hinges causing hinges to crack")

If anyone could offer their advice it will be much appreciated as I have raised and escalated my complaint with my builder and reached a dead end.

The doorstop was placed too close to the door hinges and the door hinges have now cracked. I have only noticed this recently and my builder is not ready to take responsibility and blames my actions that caused it.

Is it something NHBC can look into under something like "design faults" or is it just wishful thinking?

Thanks,
alladin

Broken hinges

Hi, (sorry the title should have read "Doorstop placed close to door hinges causing hinges to crack")

If anyone could offer their advice it will be much appreciated as I have raised and escalated my complaint with my builder and reached a dead end.

The doorstop was placed too close to the door hinges and the door hinges have now cracked. I have only noticed this recently and my builder is not ready to take responsibility and blames my actions that caused it.

Is it something NHBC can look into under something like "design faults" or is it just wishful thinking?

Thanks,
alladin

Please send photos ....so we can better see what you mean and whats happening

That way i can respond accordingly

Deadeye

Playing devils advocate here, where else are they going to put it?

Seems a bad designed layout rather than a fault of the builder for putting it there. Your only option is to remove it and try not to bang that door against the other one.

Fenman48

These doors I believe are wood laminate with an internal honey combe core. Your hinge screws would appear to have no grip and hence the delamination. Could it be the chippy has taken to much wood of the inside with nothing left to grip the screws or is it a product problem. I personally would ask the appropriate trade association TRADA ?. However this is the builders problem. Nothing you can do except buy a new door ( not from a DIY outlet) and get a descent chippy to fit it. Then on to NHBC.

alladin

These doors I believe are wood laminate with an internal honey combe core. Your hinge screws would appear to have no grip and hence the delamination. Could it be the chippy has taken to much wood of the inside with nothing left to grip the screws or is it a product problem. I personally would ask the appropriate trade association TRADA ?. However this is the builders problem. Nothing you can do except buy a new door ( not from a DIY outlet) and get a descent chippy to fit it. Then on to NHBC.

Thanks for all the comments. I will raise a complaint with NHBC and fit a new door. :(

Deadeye

The door has split because the doorstop is closer to the hinges than the half way and the door has been opened against it.

hossballs

Whilst it does appear the door stop could have been a little shorter, the door stop and door couldn't have caused that frame to crack by themselves. It appears that the door has been continually forced against the stop, with sufficient leverage to do that damage - kids banging door open, someone too large to pass the partially open door without putting weight against it etc.. It's a bit like murdering your parents, then complaining about being an orphan...I can appreciate the builders stance on this.

alladin

Thanks for the replies.

The door with the doorstop placed as in the picture will not withstand much impact even in regular use. Check for Center_of_percussion in wikipedia. I now know about this problem but I believe the design has to be such that these issues donot occur on daily usage. Well I will check with NHBC anyways to see what they will say.