David Wilson Homes

New Build Inspections

khakilad

Hello all,

We are currently in the process of purchasing a DWH house (we have exchanged and awaiting completion) Quick question, we have seen the enclosed brickwork finish which doesn't look straight and needs to be corrected. What are people's thoughts on it? Would you accept as is or would you ask for the bricks to be straightened.

They also appear to have used a half brick above the porch roof. Again is this normal?

Thanks IMG_3340 copy.jpg

Matron999

I wouldn't have accepted that if it had been the case with our Bellway home. I agree tell them to fix it before exchange of contracts if possible. Let us know how you get on.

Brian Cranston

The standard brickwork is of poor quality and the bonding of the brickwork above the porch is shocking, the bricklayers have not used a line when building the brickwork over the window arch and have not correctly set out the bond of the brickwork over the porch. There appears to be a ¾ bat and a ¼ bat on the first course above the porch then a ½ bat and ¼ bat on the next course and then ¾ bat and a ¼ bat on the next course, this is not a true brickwork bond and there are risbine (straight joints) joints above each cut bat, this brick bonding will weaken the structure of the wall and is totally unacceptable and should be rectified immediately. The pointing on the brickwork arch is also shocking and should be raked out and repointed.
Contact the NHBC and the local building control officer and make then aware of the shoddy workmanship and have them take this issue up with the builder.

NewHomeExpert

Quote frankly, you should refuse to legally complete until this is taken down and re built properly.
This is some of the worst brickwork I have seen, especially for Barratt.
It might be a good idea to e mail the picture to Barratt CEO David Thomas and ask him if he would accept this standard in his own home?

khakilad

Repair Job, thoughts please?

Quote frankly, you should refuse to legally complete until this is taken down and re built properly.
This is some of the worst brickwork I have seen, especially for Barratt.
It might be a good idea to e mail the picture to Barratt CEO David Thomas and ask him if he would accept this standard in his own home?

Thanks all for the replies. David Wilson Home have now rectified the issue with the brickwork. I would be grateful of your thoughts please. Looks all ok to me now though. IMG_0018.jpg

NewHomeExpert

The picture is a bit small to see if the brickwork courses and joints are any better!
What is evident is:
1) The mortar is of differing colours where bricks have been chopped out and replaced. I wouldn't accept that! It needs tinting.
2) Mortar staining on lead flashing to porch roof.
3) No gutter to porch roof. OK so under the NHBC minimum area, but how much would it cost?
4) Cant see any weep vents above windows to rendered area. And brickwork for that matter. needs checking.
5) The Airbricks to the wall to the right of the door are not evenly spaced. Too late now without major works, but shows a lack of care and attention to detail.

That's just from one small photo! Get your home professionally snagged and inspected.

khakilad

The picture is a bit small to see if the brickwork courses and joints are any better!
What is evident is:
1) The mortar is of differing colours where bricks have been chopped out and replaced. I wouldn't accept that! It needs tinting.
2) Mortar staining on lead flashing to porch roof.
3) No gutter to porch roof. OK so under the NHBC minimum area, but how much would it cost?
4) Cant see any weep vents above windows to rendered area. And brickwork for that matter. needs checking.
5) The Airbricks to the wall to the right of the door are not evenly spaced. Too late now without major works, but shows a lack of care and attention to detail.

That's just from one small photo! Get your home professionally snagged and inspected.

Many thanks for that, I had not even considered points 4 and 5. I don't really understand by what you mean by a weep vent, is this a requirement? Surely if it is, this won't be allowed to proceed or am I wishful thinking?

We have an inspection I believe two weeks before we are due to complete so I will raise this points at this meeting. We will probably now have a professional come and inspect the property.

NewHomeExpert

A weep vent is a small hole or gap in the render or mortar which lest out water that may collect on the cavity tray above the window.
Just because you can legally complete, doesn't mean your home is perfect or complies with building regulations or warranty standards.
Get a professional to check your home BEFORE you move in.