Creaking floors in new build - inevitable?

New Build Inspections

danb77

Hi all,

I have moved into a new-build flat which suffers quite badly from creaking and moving floorboards under the carpet.

The builder is trying to assure me that this is due to a combination of new building regs and the fact that a floating floor has been used to reduce sound travelling to and from the flat downstairs.

He says that as the floor is floating that there is nothing to screw floorboards down to to prevent the creaking. Thus there is little that caan be improved.

Is this true, or is he spinning me a yarn?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Dan

Tony

Administrator
Dan,

I am afraid he is spinning you a yarn and I am pretty sure it will be pissing off your downstairs neighbours as well. I have walked on many a floating floor without a single squeak or creak.

Let us know how you get on.

Tony

BTW Tell him you are thinking about getting a second professional opinion that will change his tune.

danb77

Hi Tony,

Who should I approach to get a second opinion? A builder? A joiner? What do companies usually charge for that sort of thing?

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers,

Dan

Tony

Administrator
The cheap option would be to phone someone in the Yellow Pages that installs floating floors. Explain the situation and they might do it for free or for a small fee. Tradesmen love criticising other's work. You could get a professional snagger in, but that would cost more.

Cheers

Tony

willyj

The Building Regulation to which you refer is Part E "Resistance to the passage of sound" and it is possible that the squeaking to which you refer is contributing to noise levels rather than reducing them.
The floor boarding should be fixed to supporting battens in the same way as it would if supported by joists and in either case should not squeak if properly installed. The battens are loose laid on a resilient layer and, in the case of chipboard, as is likely to be used in a new build, the floor boarding should be glued and screwed to them.
To say that "there is nothing to fix to" is incorrect if battens have been used as shown in the Regulation, or suggests that the floor boarding has been laid directly onto the resilient layer which is not up to required standards.

Mark D

Quite Agree

Totally agree. There are various systems around so ask the question what system was used. However, although some very slight sqeaking is acceptable a lot is not. It depends what type of squeak it is as to what is the problem. The squeak is generated by two surfaces rubbing together so you need to find the two surfaces. It could be that the joints have not been glued correctly, the fixings are not holding, the decking is rubbing against the partition (there should be a strip here to prevent contact).

Good luck

MD

danb77

Hi all,

An update on this. Someone from the builders finally came to take up the carpet and inspect this last month (yes, they were that slow) and they have identified the problem.

The floor chipboard panels fitted were too large - insufficient gap was left around them without space to expand. They cause the creak as they rub against the wall and adjacent flooring as they flex.

The builders then said that this is too big a job for them to fix! Surely they can't get away with that...?

I am fighting it, but I would be interested in a third opinion from this board.

How would one go about fixing "too big floor panels"? Can they be trimmed easily?

What rights do I have to demand that they do something about it?

In other news, due to the large holes left around my kitchen pipework, my kitchen got infested with rats! :-O

Tony

Administrator
Thanks for the update Dan. sorry to here about the rats. That's pretty horrible, building work often causes mass migration of rats and other vermin and they do get everywhere.

The builder has said there is a problem but it is too big to fix - outrageous. You need to escalate this to the NHBC.

Cheers,

Tony

fabianZ

I am sure that there is a lot to improve regarding that floor! What could be done for example is remove that carpet and the floor boarding and replace it buy a good isolating material and a good vinyl or laminat flooring!
Good luck for your project :)

Chuck Sidfrum

Yes, escalate to NHBC, squeaks should not be lived with. And if builder shows you documents produced by NHBC (guidelines) to help them get away with these faults, then I suggest you ignore them and raise NHBC resolution or talk to own surveyor.