Ceilings to be Replaced

New Build Inspections

justinitus

Hi All

We have had ongoing issues with the ceilings in our lounge and kitchen/diner making loud cracking noises when walked on above. This has been identified as the plasterboard rather than floorboards (both have been re-screwed to no avail).

So the developer has decided to remove the ceilings in the lounge and kitchen/diner and fit resilient bars to the I-joists before fitting new ceilings.

Not at all happy this has to be done but we can't live with the dreadful cracking noises so sadly, it has to.

The work is going to done by a 3rd party dry lining company. I have asked the builder several questions about the work but have yet to receive a response, so I thought I'd ask them on here:

Which day are *** coming to do the work?
What exactly is the procedure?
Will all work be completed on the same day as promised?
How much lower will my ceilings be when done?
Are you confident that this will cure the noise issues once and for all?
Are you satisfied that *** are suitably qualified and experienced to remove and replace light / alarm fittings / extractor fans as required?
How will *** install bars / replace plasterboard above the kitchen wall units - there is only currently 15mm clearance above and one unit is a full height floor standing unit.
I’m not sure that moving my furniture to the middle of the room and covering it will a) give *** enough room to work and b) be enough of a measure to protect my furniture and belongings. Please confirm.
Please confirm that all items of furniture and personal items will be returned to their original locations.
Please also confirm that the house will be left clean and tidy to the same standard as found.
Please confirm that any damage whatsoever to my furniture or belongings will be put right without quibble. If you wish to conduct a check beforehand thats fine.

I managed to collar one of the site trades today and he laughed and said 4-5 days. He also thought we ought to have our furniture put into proper storage and be moved to a hotel (I hate hotels!).

Just wondered if anyone on here has had similar work done and what was the procedure / outcome? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

NewHomeExpert

You could read this post: NHBC Standards for Chipboard Floor on I Joists
Exactly similar to you except he had the floor up!
And it was a Redrow house too!

If said it before somewhere, its not the ceiling its the floor and the cracking is the chipboard moving on the nails.
Do you really think Redrow (or any other house builder for that matter) would answer your questions?
Your home will be wrecked! All that dust. Its not known in the trade as "muck and bullets" for nothing!

justinitus

Thanks for the reply NHE. I had been following that post actually, but thanks for the link. The floors have been inspected (round holes cut out) and it is the ceiling plasterboard that's making the noise - by pressing the plasterboard from above or below you can replicate the noise easily.

One thing is for sure though, I am not letting them in to do the work until they have answered my questions and I'm satisfied with their answers. I think it's fair and reasonable to ask- it is my home after all!

justinitus

Just a quick update following a brief visit from the assistant site manager today.

The work will no longer be done next week as they have no firm plans on how to do it.
The work, when done, will take approx 5 days "if all goes well"
Ceilings will be approx 1/2 -3/4 inch lower.
The tall kitchen unit will not be removed, they plan to slide the new ceiling between the top of the unit and the old ceiling and finish the edges with sealant. This unit is 2m wide.
Our furniture and everything else will be removed by site workers and stored in our garage and if it won't all fit, in the upstairs rooms.
We will be expected to remain in the property throughout and live in the bedrooms.
Electrical fittings will be removed /refitted by the site electrician.
Insulation "may" be fitted between the I-joists but the are no plans to fit heat shields around the 8 down lights.

What an absolute joke! I sent them packing. Will update this thread again when I hear more.

Last edited:

NewHomeExpert

The tall kitchen unit will not be removed, they plan to slide the new ceiling between the top of the unit and the old ceiling and finish the edges with sealant. This unit is 2m wide.
We will be expected to remain in the property throughout and live in the bedrooms.
Electrical fittings will be removed /refitted by the site electrician.
Insulation "may" be fitted between the I-joists but the are no plans to fit heat shields around the 8 down lights.

What an absolute joke! I sent them packing. Will update this thread again when I hear more.

The tall kitchen unit must be removed.
What they are proposing is a complete bodge job.
NHBC standards and Gypsum specification state boards should be fixed at 150mm centres at the perimeter of the boards.
How can they do this if the clearance above the tall unit is so little. And as for filling the gap with the cowboy builders "best friend", silicone sealant!

No one should be expected to "live" in a home with all that going on.
My guess is they are trying to put you off having it done altogether.
As for letting site labourers move all your furniture/belongings to a garage and/or upstairs.
Hiow much care will they take? Are you insured for valuables etc in a garage?
garages are not waterproof either, you possessions could get damp/mildew.
You should be moved out put in a 5 star hotel (not a Travelodge!) and all your ground floor chattels be put into secure storage by professional removers such as Pickfords.
All costs of this should be paid for by REDROW and should also include the cost Council tax and standing charges and costs for water, gas and Electricity used in the period of the works along with your cost of laundry and evening meals and any pet boarding. Finally you should have an inconvenience payment of at least £50 per person per day.

Ask Redrow's CEO the Steve Morgan if he would put up with all that work happening in his mansion?

zednine

obviously going to over board the ceiling, leaving the old one in place! could be a disaster if they dont do it right..

NewHomeExpert

Provided the noggins and joists are where they should be, the new board joints are staggered with the existing and, most importantly, the correct length and number of fixings are used it should be alright, perhaps even better. (More sound and fire resistance)
Mind you that's a lot to go wrong!

jayprice1985

To give everyone an update on our situation. Strata homes have taken every ceiling out in the house and fit resilient bars across the joists. They have also layed fibreglass covering across the resilient bars. They have attached the plasterboard to the resilient bars and it has 100% cured the issue. The reason why it has cured the issue is that when they took the ceiling out you can see a slight bit of movement in the TJI joists when you knocked them gently. The resilient bars have clearly held the joists together more tightly which has solved the issues! Don't back down people, gimage1.jpget your builders to fit resilient bars the way ours have! It worked![