Cathedral View, Ely, Cambridgeshire

New Build Inspections

old shape

Search engine found nothing on this estate.
I am therefore assuming the estate itself is OK and that only the usual Snagging list is needed.
Is it true to say that Barratts seem to have dragged themselves away from their bad reputation?

We are thinking of part ex. into this estate. Only two houses left, I'm presently trying to do a deal.

abbottswalk

Don't know about Barratts, but judging by the number of threads in their forum, by no means the worst. One developer seems to stand head and shoulders ahead of the rest, even accounting for the number of houses they each build.

I would say to make sure you go in with your eyes open and remember the only person with your interests at heart is yourself! My view was that the house would be 90-95% of what i wanted and a case of battling to get it to 100% happy (should it be a battle, no, but was ready for it)

If you are near the end of development, you may need to stay on top of the snagging as i guess the site team will start packing up and disappearing.

Other advice is appoint your own solicitors, they may try and tell you the ones on their panel of firms are faster/more used to new build, but you'll a) probably find a better deal elsewhere and b) get one that's impartial.
Also get everything in writing and signed and make use of your smartphone camera!

All the best

old shape

Hi and cheers Abbotswalk.
Yeah, all the usual stuff really. I went through the whole 9 yards of what to look out for a few months back when I nearly signed up with a Persimmon Part ex.
Solicitors already engaged anyway, I paid an upfront fee for them to do a lot of prep. work before a "Normal" sale.
In negotiation, I was able to move Persimmon down on price and up the offer on mine plus a few extras. Barratts have already said that they will not move on price so I'll see what extras they throw in to "Incentivise the sale". Assuming of course they come up with a sensible valuation on mine.
I will also be engaging a Snagging company. I could do it myself but having the builder know a professional outfit is doing it will put pressure on them (I hope).

NewHomeExpert

Barratts have already said that they will not move on price so I'll see what extras they throw in to "Incentivise the sale". Assuming of course they come up with a sensible valuation on mine.
I will also be engaging a Snagging company. I could do it myself but having the builder know a professional outfit is doing it will put pressure on them (I hope).

You are doing everything right.
Appointed your own solicitor. Barratt cannot force you to use theirs (Consumer Code for Home Builders requirement 2.5)
You will use a professional snagging company and tell barratt. Please do not legally complete unless the snags are done beforehand.
As pointed out, once the trades leave the site, you are in the hands of customer care and subcontractors and this is when problems can arise getting issues put right.
You want a deal. The sales advisors can agree what thye call negotiables" usually up to 5% of the asking price. Above this level it needs regional office approval. This can only be done at reservation not after.

The only thing you may be doing wrong is buying a house near the house builder's year-end.
Barratt's year end is 30 June so any home completed is likely to be rushed.

You are quite correct, Barratt do seem to have improved the building quality of their new homes.
However most complaints appear to be with regard to misleading information at sales and reservation.
Get everything in writing and be aware of the Consumer Code for Home Builders.
Please spend some time reading my website for more useful advice and tips too.
Have you checked the development in Ely for flood risk for example?

old shape

Hi, - flood Map checked (And coloured in on a proper OS Map...along with crime zones and proximity to undesirable "Hoods") for whole of our area of interest. Ely is OK, in fact it used to be called the Isle of Ely before the Dutch drained this part of the nation.
This house is not yet at 1st lift. Completion isn't until October.
I need to read the Consumer Code for Home Builders. I think I've read your site a few months back.......I'll do it again.
All they have offered so far is Carpet (I suspect they use Rice Paper quality which will last 12 months on the HSL!) and tiles to the floors of all Wet rooms including Kitchen Diner.

As for misleading info...their own website is wrong on Room description. I'm surprised the site reps didn't know (Or can't be bothered to sort out). In this case, the Words/dimensions describe a study. The Floor Plan doesn't show it. Apparently, this style of house had a study at the last Site and some numpty has just copy/pasted onto the next development. They sacrificed Lounge space for study, now has large lounge.

I'll keep this thread posted with "Stuff" as it happens.

NewHomeExpert

You are right about the 'free' house builder carpet!
It is always better to pay for your own carpet and a quality underlay.

Barratt (or any house builder) should give you a free copy of the Consumer Code for House Builders if you ask for it.
You should get one when you Reserve even if you don't ask. (Requirement 1.2. in both instances)

Or you can download a copy from my website on the Consumer Code for Home Builders page - link below.